DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Conservative Supreme Court Justices Appeared To Side With Trump To End DACA (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83999)

pink 11-12-2019 11:23 PM

Conservative Supreme Court Justices Appeared To Side With Trump To End DACA

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...daca-arguments

WASHINGTON — Conservative justices on the Supreme Court on Tuesday appeared to side with President Donald Trump and his decision to rescind an Obama-era program that allows about 700,000 undocumented immigrants to live and work in the United States without fear of deportation.

Solicitor General Noel Francisco, arguing on behalf of the US government, said the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy, commonly known as DACA, was a "temporary stopgap measure" that could be ended at any time.

The Trump administration has also argued that DACA, which defers deportation for undocumented immigrants who were brought to the US as children, is illegal because former president Barack Obama overstepped his authority in 2012 when he created the program. But justices on Tuesday were considering whether the courts can review the administration's choice to end DACA and, if so, whether the decision was legal.

The administration cited two DACA-related programs — Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) — that the 5th Circuit ruled against when it upheld an injunction blocking them from going into effect. The lower court said states that had sued the Obama administration over the two programs were "likely" to prevail on some of their claims.

Chief Justice John Roberts, who may be a decisive vote, wondered if the Trump administration had already done enough in arguing that DACA was illegal when it relied on the previous court rulings.

"Is it enough ... to say, 'Look, I've got a decision from the 5th Circuit that tells me this is illegal, it's been affirmed by the Supreme Court by an equally divided vote'? That's enough for me to say we're not going to do it?" he said.

beingoflight 11-12-2019 11:47 PM

Re: Conservative Supreme Court Justices Appeared To Side With Trump To End DACA

Might as well post articles from breitbart...

Lmao buzzfeed.

2MoreYears 11-13-2019 01:51 AM

Now more than ever I believe SCOTUS will side with POTUS.

The administration knew that since the beginning. Consequently making it their strategy.

They took the long path to destroy DACA in order to prevent the program from ever happen again.

It's both a curse and a blessing so to speak.

Afridi786 11-13-2019 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MoreYears (Post 742846)

The administration knew that since the beginning. Consequently making it their strategy.

They took the long path to destroy DACA in order to prevent the program from ever happen again.

More like a death sentence, at least for me.

eva02 11-13-2019 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MoreYears (Post 742846)

They are not ruling on the legality of the program they are ruling on whether trump had the authority to end the program. Which means that the next president will have the ability to bring it back

Got_Daca 11-13-2019 03:04 AM

Send in your renewalS

isk84life 11-13-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva02 (Post 742850)
They are not ruling on the legality of the program they are ruling on whether trump had the authority to end the program. Which means that the next president will have the ability to bring it back

Got to read the transcripts Eva. I’m afraid they might also rule on the legality of the program and prevent any other future president from doing something similar.

PapiChulo 11-13-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isk84life (Post 742864)
Got to read the transcripts Eva. I’m afraid they might also rule on the legality of the program and prevent any other future president from doing something similar.

Trump didnt have to bring this up to SCOTUS because he couldve just ended DACA the right way.. but he did so DACA wont be brought back even when hes dead and gone.

something to think about for the Trump apologists here.

basically DACA or something like it cant happen again with future Presidents.

DogJuiceMan 11-13-2019 01:20 PM

During an election season try to tackle our freedoms? Bold strategy cotton.

eva02 11-13-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isk84life (Post 742864)

I read them, that’s pretty cold. But why didn’t they rule and make it illegal during the DAPA case?

I think a narrow victory is the most probable where they will rule that trump can end the program.