DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Staunch immigration reform critic Sen. Lee thinks bill will get the 70 Senate votes (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=58143)

freshh. 06-23-2013 11:53 AM

Staunch immigration reform critic Sen. Lee thinks bill will get the 70 Senate votes

Some good news for us all. ;)

Quote:

One of the Senate’s strongest opponents to the chamber’s sweeping immigration reform bill acknowledged Sunday that the legislation will likely pass this week with as many as 70 votes.

Utah Sen. Mike Lee, among the most conservative Senate Republicans, told “Fox News Sunday” the bill is “likely to pass along those margins.”

Still, Lee remains steadfast, ahead of a likely vote Monday night or Tuesday, that passing the roughly 1,200-page bill is a mistake. He continues to argue that Congress should take a more step-by-step approach, starting with further securing the U.S.-Mexico border.

“It could take years to implement the border-security measures,” Lee said.

The group of senators who crafted the legislation is trying to get 70 votes to show the bill has widespread bipartisan support in the Democrat-controlled chamber and to give it momentum as it heads into the Republican-controlled House with a more uncertain future.

On Thursday, the Senate passed a so-called Border Surge amendment, which included 70,000 additional U.S. border agents and 700 more miles of border fencing, to garner support from lawmakers who said the influx of illegal immigrants remains a problem.

Lee said the lawmakers crafted the bill with the “best intentions” but failed.

“They said it is tough and fair, but it’s neither,” he told Fox.

The bill would provide a years-long path to citizenship for the roughly 11 illegal immigrants now living in the U.S.

Lee was joined on the show by South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, a member of the so-called Gang of Eight that helped craft the bill.

“We are very, very close,” Graham said. “The amendment gets us over the top.”

He argued he “sure as hell” wouldn’t support a bill that did include border security and that the Republican Party has to be part of immigration reform to connect with Hispanics, who gave President Obama roughly 70 percent of their vote in 2012.

“The party is in trouble with Hispanics,” Graham said.
Source

Happyman0607 06-23-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Staunch immigration reform critic Sen. Lee thinks bill will get the 70 Senate vot

I hope every single senator and congressman who opposed this bill gets voted out of a job.. It's almost criminal to vote no for this, it doesn't make sense to me that the most powerful and prosper country in the world doesn't even have secure boarders.. These guys are really playing their voters hard by voting no for this

Alex QA 06-23-2013 12:25 PM

Re: Staunch immigration reform critic Sen. Lee thinks bill will get the 70 Senate vot

C) DACA RECIPIENTS.—The Secretary may adopt streamlined procedures for applicants for adjustment to lawful permanent resi dent status under this section who were granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (re- ferred to in this paragraph as ‘DACA’) pursuant to the Secretary’s memorandum of June 15, 2012.

/images/stories/news/2013/04_april/immigration-bill.pdf

This is what I found on DACA in the official senate bill , the key statement here is "may adopt streamlined procedures"
To me this sounds like those of us currently covered by DACA will be delt with in a faster manner than the rest of the immigrants , am I correct?

Pianoswithoutfaith 06-23-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex QA (Post 491284)
C) DACA RECIPIENTS.—The Secretary may adopt streamlined procedures for applicants for adjustment to lawful permanent resi dent status under this section who were granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (re- ferred to in this paragraph as ‘DACA’) pursuant to the Secretary’s memorandum of June 15, 2012.

/images/stories/news/2013/04_april/immigration-bill.pdf

This is what I found on DACA in the official senate bill , the key statement here is "may adopt streamlined procedures"
To me this sounds like those of us currently covered by DACA will be delt with in a faster manner than the rest of the immigrants , am I correct?

Streamlined means anything. I don't think it means automatically green card. It probably just means to get RPI it's easier with DACA we are all getting RPI now to get it it's different

DA User 06-23-2013 03:36 PM

I predict 75 or more. What about you all?

Pianoswithoutfaith 06-23-2013 03:47 PM

We are talking here serious stuff here DA user let the adults talk okay?

DA User 06-23-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 491331)
We are talking here serious stuff here DA user let the adults talk okay?

I know but I am the most senior user on DAP.

brz09tls 06-23-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 491339)
I know but I am the most senior user on DAP.

Getting pretty annoying, no matter how long you've been here.

"I predict 75 yays" on every single post i read.

Wtf, go outside.

DA User 06-23-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brz09tls (Post 491346)
Getting pretty annoying, no matter how long you've been here.

"I predict 75 yays" on every single post i read.

Wtf, go outside.

It relates to a different thread though.

brz09tls 06-23-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 491374)
It relates to a different thread though.

You cool bro.