DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   U Visa (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26476)

SuperGSPorty 02-17-2012 03:49 PM

U Visa

Hello. Has anybody on this forum had any experiences with applying or receiving a U Visa? I applied in November and had biometrics completed in December. I recieved my DL in January. I am from Arizona.

chessmaster05 02-17-2012 04:26 PM

Re: U Visa

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGSPorty (Post 246661)
Hello. Has anybody on this forum had any experiences with applying or receiving a U Visa? I applied in November and had biometrics completed in December. I recieved my DL in January. I am from Arizona.

How did you apply? Were you a victim of a violent crime?

SuperGSPorty 02-17-2012 05:04 PM

Yes, I was a victim of a felony assault. The guy who attacked me was charged with aggravated assault which is a felony. Thus making me eligible for a u visa. I had to give proof of physical damages among other requirements. I already had my biometrics just waiting to receive my visa and work permit.

someone 02-17-2012 05:33 PM

One of my family members was murder a few years back. Do I qualify for a u-visa?

SuperGSPorty 02-17-2012 05:49 PM

How old are you?

someone 02-17-2012 05:57 PM

I am 19.

SuperGSPorty 02-17-2012 06:14 PM

I believe you can if the murder occurred to your father or mother. It says child on the application but it had no age restriction so I believe you can. If it occurred to your sibling you have to be under 18 to apply. I'm 18, so I was barely able to apply for my twin brother...

jamesp 02-17-2012 06:39 PM

Does armed robbery fall into one of the qualifying crime category? I've been robbed twice within the span of three months early last year. A lawyer friend of mine told me that I'd have a good case for the U-visa if I can prove that I suffered substantial mental harm because of the recurring incidents. I reported the crimes in both instances. My lawyer friend suggested that I see a psychiatrist for a thorough post-traumatic evaluation. But it's not cheap! I'd have to go through at least 6 months of therapy. Do you think I have a fair chance? Honestly speaking, I get freaked out walking home late at night. I did cooperate with SFPD and helped them draw sketches of the suspects.

Did they ask for ID when you went for the biometrics appointment? How long did the entire U-visa processing take? The acceptance rate is pretty high but I read somewhere that the crime has to be serious enough in order to qualify. Have you already received your approval letter? Only 5 months? How did you apply for the DL before getting your EAD? Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGSPorty (Post 246661)

someone 02-17-2012 07:08 PM

@Supergsporty
It was one of my parents. Should I talk to an immigration lawyer about this?

SuperGSPorty 02-17-2012 07:20 PM

Yes, relatives of deceased individuals who otherwise would qualify for a u visa can also apply for the same benefit. Did you cooperate with the authorities ie. provide them with information they asked or in any shape/form If yes, then don't delay and speak with an attorney. I'm sorry for your loss.