DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   name on Social Security (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=40853)

Barca10messi 03-13-2013 06:08 PM

name on Social Security

SO i went to social security yesterday and they guy at the window filled the paper work for me. I noticed he entered my whole hispanic name.; Father last name plus mother. I asked him if that was the name that would appear on the card and he said that yes both last names will appear on there because that is what shows on the EAD card. yet, my school records and everything about me have only my fathers last name and just know its going to be a problem later on if the card has both last names when i try to update my info.

I thought in the US the mothers last name was not used !!! wtf

can this guy be wrong? can my social only have my name and fathers last name

how about you guys? did your SS card have both last name?

Thank you in advance for your response

hawkeye2013 03-13-2013 06:29 PM

Re: name on Social Security

the name used on the EAD card is the same that is on both the I-821D & I-765 application application. seeing how you sent in your BC or passport with both names on them, then both names would be used on your SSN as well.

i too have 2 last names, even though i dont use my mother's birth last name. but seeing how both last names are on my passport and my USCIS applications, then it will be on my EAD card too.

SSA goes off the forms of ID that you give them. so, if your EAD and passport or BC has both last names, then that is what they are going to use.

JJ Glo 03-13-2013 06:38 PM

That's your legal Birth Name, even if the maternal last name isn't used here in the United States, that's what you have to go by.

not_today 03-13-2013 06:43 PM

There's a difference between "Full Name" and "Other Names Used (including maiden name)" on the DACA form. "Full name" should follow the US naming convention, that is, a name plus a last name, and "Other Names Used" is only used to further link your identity to already existing ones. SSA workers are required to use your name exactly as it appears on your EAD according to regulation. If I were you I'd make an effort to change my name on my EAD even if it involved having to pay $380 again.

chicagodreamer23 03-13-2013 09:42 PM

My brothers EAD had John Doe Smith, when he went to the SSA office he only put John Doe on ssn application. So you should be able to put down your first name and only your fathers last name. Another friend also used first and last name, not whole name on EAD.

PedroG 03-15-2013 10:14 PM

Mine reads Pedro Guillen-Huerta. Thats how most do it, or at least most of the people I know have had it done

cici88 03-15-2013 10:18 PM

I had spoken to an immigration officer and she said you have to go by what your birth certificate says. I have to use both last names

immario1991 03-15-2013 11:16 PM

so since they added my mom's last name but it's not hyphenated is it ok to just keep writing just my dad's last name when I fill out paperwork? except maybe when opening bank accounts, applying for jobs, etc. or do I always have to put both no matter what?

not_today 03-16-2013 02:41 AM

Straight from the SSA

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

Your job as a DACA applicant is to make sure that your name appears on your EAD the way you want it so that the SSA can use exactly that name. You are not a US citizen, you can't go by the name on your foreign birth certificate since in the US, USCIS establishes your legal identity in this country.

When in the US, use your name exactly as it appears on your immigration document. This will help you avoid any potential problems in the future, and when your name changes again, for instance, through marriage, a legal name change, or naturalization, then you should use that name once you've updated the change with USCIS.

eRkah 03-16-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_today (Post 445732)
Your job as a DACA applicant is to make sure that your name appears on your EAD the way you want it so that the SSA can use exactly that name. You are not a US citizen, you can't go by the name on your foreign birth certificate since in the US, USCIS establishes your legal identity in this country.

When in the US, use your name exactly as it appears on your immigration document. This will help you avoid any potential problems in the future, and when your name changes again, for instance, through marriage, a legal name change, or naturalization, then you should use that name once you've updated the change with USCIS.

When I helped out at DACA events, I think the lawyers volunteering with us also said something along these lines. Because in the US the common usage is just one first name and one last name, they told us it was ok to fill out the forms this way IF the person wanted to omit a second first name and second last name.

The important thing is to be consistent on all applications. And they also told us to use the 'Other Names Used' field to list the full name. So you want the name on all the applications and the EAD card to be how you want it to appear on everything else (DL, SSN, banks, etc). Also there's a difference between abbreviating your name, and changing it (which you can't do as easily)