DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   States that give US in-state tuition (list) (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3720)

juang 08-30-2006 01:00 AM

States that give US in-state tuition (list)

First of all, let me clarify that the DREAM Act its not only about in-state tuition. There is a number of states that already give in-state tuition to undocumented students that qualify, but a college degree is worth crap when you can't use it in the only country you love and know. And this is why we want everyone to be aware that our DREAM not only consist of affordable college education, but of a chance for a better job and better living standars. And that...is the American DREAM.

The following is a list of states that give in-state tuition to undocumented students that satisfy certain requirements.
Not every "illegal" will be accepted in college and therefore the ignorant question: "why my son who is going to college in California has to pay out of state tuition when these illegals pay in-state?" will be answered.

Every state has its own particular requirements, and details vary from state to state, but basically all of them agree in:

**The student must have a state high school diploma. (kids from Texas need a Texan high school diploma to pay instate tuition in Texas. If they decide to go to college in California, they will have to pay out of state tuition as everyone who moves out in order to go to college in another state.)

**The student must at least have lived in the state for 3 consecutive years prior college application.(To those who oppose us getting in-state when their kids dont when they move to Texas for college: Well, if your kid had lived in Texas for 3 years before applying to college like us, he/she would also have gotten in-state tuition. So, stop complaining)

**The student must sing a letter in which he/she assures that will try to become "legal" once they have the chance to do so.

Now, finally, the list.

http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DRE...cts_041706.pdf

**Texas
**California
**Utah
**Washington
**New York
**Oklahoma
**Illinois
**Kansas
**New Mexico
**Nebraska
**Georgia

If you know of any other state that gives in-state tuition to certain undocumented students and its not listed here, please let me know to keep this list updated. Please provide a link to an article that confirms that such state is (or will), in fact, give in-state tuition.

Nick 08-30-2006 06:09 PM

Great write up! Thats a question that is brought up quite often around here.

max 08-30-2006 06:13 PM

I hate how some people think that DREAM Act is for people who came to U.S. yesterday. Once on the news I saw how they were reporting on DREAM. They were showing clips of illegal immigrants working on farms picking cherries. I have nothing on them, but you think they want to go to school. Maybe? :D

juang 08-31-2006 01:05 AM

Honestly...I dont think many of the people picking up cherries and stuf want to go to college. They have more important things in mind (not that college its not important) and putting food in your family's table is more important than a degree in Political Science.

frbc13 03-19-2007 03:33 PM

Florida..........not!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

frbc13 03-19-2007 03:36 PM

Yes it pisses me off how some people say: "They can go to any state and get in state tuition and my american kid can't" they don't know the whole deal!!!

Nick 03-19-2007 09:29 PM

Just wondering, is this the most recent list? I have this striking suspicion that there is another state now that should be added to the list. MN? I could just be dillusional though...

HOPEFULDREAMER 03-19-2007 09:34 PM

MN is considering their DREAM Act right now...its not official yet =)

Nick 03-19-2007 09:38 PM

So is Maryland I think. We should keep our eyes peeled for changes.

frbc13 05-13-2007 11:07 AM

I guess you should take Oklahoma off the list now :( :( :(