DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Medical School Thread (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8025)

pearl 03-12-2008 10:54 AM

The Medical School Thread

Pls. advise if anyone knows any Medical schools accepts the students under pending status. As most of the schools accepts only US Citizens or permanent Residents only. I know a child who is very smart and really working hard to become a doctor. But his avenues seem to be closing on him, and getting heart break and disappointed. Pls. let me know.

God bless all.

ronaldo 03-12-2008 11:12 AM

Re: Medical Schools

unfortunately, i think his best bet is at a private medical school, where they dont care about residency status. Of course, were talking about a huge tuition rate, around 150-200k for 4 yrs. And because he will undoubtably be listed as an international student, many schools may ask for him to already have all 4 yrs worth of tuition saved on a separate bank account specifically just for the tuition (an ecrow account). Or it could be just 1 yr's worth tuition rate, but it all depends on the school. Also, take a look at a Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) handbook. There you will find which schools accepted international students that applied to state schools along with other useful info such as tuition, requirments, scholarships (if any applicable) etc.

ilubse7en 06-06-2008 02:01 AM

medical school

is anyone in medical school?
i am preparing for the medical school right now, and i thought that since you can apply to dental school you can apply to private medical school as well, is it right?
anyways, i wanted to know how many pre-medical dreamies are out there,
we can share some infos

K-Man 06-06-2008 02:23 AM

Re: medical school

I've merged this thread with another Medical school thread from March, since I'm nice at the moment. It seems like there are quite a few of us here interested in this subject, so if this thread pans out to fruitful discussion with useful information, I'll go ahead and Sticky it.

Here's another thread on Pharmacy schools FYI:

http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7607

pearl 06-06-2008 09:04 AM

Re: The Medical School Thread

Congrats ilubse7en for your preparation for medical schools. Wish you all the luck. As per research, most of the medical schools requirement is either you have to be citizen or permanent resident. There are few who have sometime accepted students, only if they have high MCAT & lot of researhs or internships accomplished. About int'l student admission, I dont know about that, how they will qualify for it if here with no status. You cannot go back and get it as it will bar you for 10 years. Maybe some other members will help you with that info.
Let me ask what year are you in. Maybe if you have time then just wait and pray if dream act passes and you will qualify. I think you can apply for medical colleges but at the the time of interview, you need to show your resident card/citizenship. There are many students who are in the same situation and have accomplished so much to become a doctor but their status is in their way. I pray for dream all the time. God bless you and all. Hopefully, when democrat comes in the office, this would be the first bill to go thru.

questionsihave 06-06-2008 12:08 PM

updated information below

DREAMAct01 06-06-2008 02:49 PM

I go to college in Texas. In order to obtain in-state tuition you must fall under the HB 1403 requirements. It's basically like the AB 540 in California but in Texas and it also allows you get to get state financial aid.

questionsihave 06-06-2008 03:15 PM

updated info below

ilubse7en 06-06-2008 09:19 PM

i'm a senior, i am volunteering at a hospital, i just put my tin number in place of SSN slot
i don't have a high GPA, and i am getting MCAT test next friday
anyways, i was hoping to apply this summer, but i guess i can't
well, more time to prepare
i'm not disappointed, i could wait years, as long as it takes..
thanks for good infos
have a nice day~~

questionsihave 01-09-2009 07:13 PM

Good new.

It seems that you can go medical school, but it there is only data from Texas.

I'm not sure about other states.

"According to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), in the fall of 2005 there were only 8,940 undocumented young people enrolled in public unviersities in Texas - less than one percent of the 1.17 million students enrolled in higher education institutions statewide. Of this number, 73% percent attended community colleges, 26% attended four-your institutions and less than 1% percent were enrolled in health-related institutions(including medical schools)(Texas Higher Education Coordination Board, 2006)"

So that means about 90 students are enrolled in health institutions that includes medical school.

I suppose why we don't hear about them is because they are in such few numbers.

I have looked at the four medical schools in the UT medical system and their applications are the same as those to apply to undergrad, but you use tmdsas. You just need to fill out the affidavit if you get in, etc.

So I try to provide more information as I contact schools.

Also, it mentioned the instate tuition about the other 10 states, but didn't say if there are students in medical school or not.

New: http://www.law.uh.edu/ihelg/undocumented/homepage.html
That is a good read about laws and undocumented students regarding college.(also mentions medical school)

Also: if anyone is currently applying to medical school, has been accepted, or is in medical school, input would be great.