DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   any of you trying to get into med-school?? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6455)

mein herz brennt 11-12-2007 05:20 AM

any of you trying to get into med-school??

hi, im new to this forum and i find it very interesting. Im a sophomore at OSU, premed, biochem major, and of course illegal. God willing trying to get into med school after i graduate. im gonna have to take an MCAT which is really difficult to get prepard for. So fas i just feel weird, kinda depressed because i study my a** off and then probably gonna take the MCAT, but i dont really know if im even gonna be able to applt to med school. you guys get my point, what is the purpose of studying so much for med school, if im prob not even gonna be able to apply, and if i do get in, i dont know how im a gonna pay it. i really like science but i have thought many times to change my major to an easier one, just because my future is uncertain.
Maybe one of you guys is already at a med school or something and can throw a word of advice. thanks

Jourbalist 11-12-2007 05:24 AM

You could go to school part-time. Don't give up on med school. Look for loans and scholarships that are available to illegals. Dream will probably pass in 09.

allihaveisdream 11-12-2007 08:34 AM

There is a problem with med-school. To do your rotations, you need authorization to work even though you are not getting paid. You could try to go and hope your status changes before your 3rd year.

Youguysareawesome 11-12-2007 09:44 AM

You can go to med school but you will have to figure out how to pay 40,000/yr unless you can become a permanent resident.

Here's the thing though, you're only a sophomore in college. Did you come here in on a visa? Are you seeing anyone?
I know a DREAMer who got married after he graduated college and then after his permanent residency came in he applied to med. school. He didn't get in the first time! He's in med school right now though. His wife is an accountant who makes an insane amount of money for a 26 year old so he's the only med student driving a lexus in his year. Hardly any debt....... Lucky SOB.

You're young, DREAM will pass or you will get married. Just don't get yourself deported in the mean time. Means no underage drinking, downloading music, smoking weed, speeding or any of the other illegal crap 90% of college students do. Study hard, keep your grades up, you will get to go to med school. Maybe not right after college (maybe you will, who knows), but you will before you're 30. So don't give up on med. school.

mein herz brennt 11-12-2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youguysareawesome
You can go to med school but you will have to figure out how to pay 40,000/yr unless you can become a permanent resident.

Here's the thing though, you're only a sophomore in college. Did you come here in on a visa? Are you seeing anyone?
I know a DREAMer who got married after he graduated college and then after his permanent residency came in he applied to med. school. He didn't get in the first time! He's in med school right now though. His wife is an accountant who makes an insane amount of money for a 26 year old so he's the only med student driving a lexus in his year. Hardly any debt....... Lucky SOB.

You're young, DREAM will pass or you will get married. Just don't get yourself deported in the mean time. Means no underage drinking, downloading music, smoking weed, speeding or any of the other illegal crap 90% of college students do. Study hard, keep your grades up, you will get to go to med school. Maybe not right after college (maybe you will, who knows), but you will before you're 30. So don't give up on med. school.

i came here with a visitors visa and overstayed. about the marriage think, actually im married to an American girl, but that didnt work out. i never applied, and my dad hates me for that. so my only hope is the dream act.

Youguysareawesome 11-12-2007 01:56 PM

^ Why aren't you guys divorced? Are you separated or just going through a rough patch? Either way you need to talk to a lawyer and either get a divorce or work things out with your wife. Ask the lawyer If you get married again, if you can still apply because you didn't the first time. Either way, DREAM will pass, I just don't like to advise people to plan their whole lives around DREAM passing. I don't know of anyone who successfully attended medical school while still being undocumented mainly because of financial reasons.

Hopefully DREAM will pass on 2009 but that is what people said about 2007.

Talk to a lawyer about either fixing your status if you guys can work things and if you plan on divorcing, ask him how this might affect you in the future if you get re-married/or DREAM passes. That should be your number 1 priority.

mein herz brennt 11-12-2007 02:20 PM

Yeah im working on the divorce, i dont think we could ever get back, our relationship was kinda weird. But i figured that if DREAM doesnt pass by 2010 that is when i graduate, im gonna have to apply to Canada or Europe. Ill try for a med school but is gonna be really hard to pay for it you know.

jp 11-12-2007 03:24 PM

most med schools require permeant residency or citezenship to apply. Also, only few number of international students (people w/ F visa and these people usually received med. training in their home country) are acceped. Getting into med school itself is really hard and I think it is adivse to take care of your legal status first before you apply to med school. As stated above, getting married to a citizen is the fastest way and you could build your resume (volunteer, grad school., etc.) while you are waiting to get your green card. I also wanted to goto pharm school but oh well.... things always don't work out as planned.
Pray to God and there will be a way!!!!

mein herz brennt 11-12-2007 03:36 PM

ya i've checked out Canada. they only give 7 spots for international students to go to med school, its insane im telling you.