DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Put on leave/terminated from job after EAD expired thread (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=74292)

akkiano 08-23-2016 08:07 PM

Put on leave/terminated from job after EAD expired thread

I'm currently stuck in the renewal limbo as are many on here. My EAD's expiration is quickly approaching on 9/4 and my job told me I would be put on leave, though I have yet to find out for how long.

I'm pretty sure I won't be renewed in time and that my EAD will indeed expire, so I want to start this thread for all who have already expired and lost their job either by being put on leave of absence or terminated so we can discuss our options.

Will you be given the opportunity to return once the EAD is renewed? How long are you given? How do you plan to stay afloat in the mean time?

I personally plan on living on my savings and minimizing my expenses as much as possible while I wait. I'm also considering contractor jobs, like perhaps Uber or Lyft (my license will still be valid after my EAD expires). If I'm totally shit out of luck and USCIS decides to take longer than my job is willing to wait, then I'm going to see if I can get unemployment. Really hope it doesn't come to that though....

akkiano 10-10-2016 08:05 PM

Re: Put on leave/terminated from job after EAD expired thread

*BUMP*

Now that I've been unemployed for over a month, thought I'd dig this thread up to see if others that are on the same boat want to share their story.

I expired 9/4 and my job put me on a 60 day leave. I was really hoping I would get an approval before the first 30 days was up, but alas, no such luck with USCIS. Now I'm counting down the last 26 days I have left at this point along with any hope that I will be able to return to my job :cry:

I've been living a frugal life to the max for about 2 months now and have relied on my savings to pay the bills this last month that I've been without income. I was considering taking up Uber/Lyft but haven't done so because I want that to be a last resort if I see myself struggling to make ends meet.

In this month-long, unemployed wait, I've tried to keep from losing my shit from anxiety and worry by keeping busy with house work. Now that that's drying up, I've been taking up more exercise. Have stayed away from Netflix like the plague — don't nobody need to be binge watching right now. I'd rather be semi-productive while doing nothing.

And I think that is key for those of us that have been put on leave; try to use the time to be productive. Do things that you never had enough time to do before, work on skills to improve at your job and if necessary, start preparing to go on the hunt for a new one. The free time available is the only silver lining in this otherwise total shit pile of a situation; use it and use it well my friends.

CapitolDreamer 10-10-2016 08:22 PM

Have been on leave for 30 days as of today. My LOA actually expires today but since my EAD was shipped last friday HR is seeing if they can bend the rules for me. I really don't know whats going to happen :-/

akkiano 10-10-2016 08:39 PM

I would try to argue that you are already authorized to work, even if you don't have your card yet. Still though, if they shipped it Friday then it's only a matter of a few more days. I don't think it would hurt them to wait that much more, it's way more of a hassle to terminate you.

turmalina 10-10-2016 08:42 PM

My story:

I was laid off last month, found a job before I finished my old job, had no gap of employment, but now I've been told by my new job I will have to stop working on my expiration date (10/13, this Thursday) and cannot come back to work until I have my EAD in hand. No word yet as to until when they will hold my position for me. And of course, not word on my case moving or getting approved as of today.

Of course, on top of all this, my family had a money emergency right before I left my old job and now all I have to hold me over until my permit arrives is my severance pay which is not much. And I probably won't be eligible for unemployment, and even if I was, I don't have a permit so I will be penniless really quick.

Woo!

CapitolDreamer 10-10-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akkiano (Post 582814)
I would try to argue that you are already authorized to work, even if you don't have your card yet. Still though, if they shipped it Friday then it's only a matter of a few more days. I don't think it would hurt them to wait that much more, it's way more of a hassle to terminate you.

My manager has been very supportive in this ordeal. I have already sent them everything that I have explaining that USCIS states that I am authorize to work simply that the card is on its way... I kinda feel bad for my manager because even though I informed him of everything this must be new to him.

I texted him yesterday to tell him that today was a holiday and that for sure the mail doesn't run etc... The area manager called HR and I'm still waiting for an answer.

Its already 6pm... and you are right, it would cost them thousands to train someone of my level since I've been there for years. If I do get terminated I have to start from zero and ugh :???: makes no sense

danizada789 10-10-2016 10:58 PM

Hey guys,
USCIS received my case on 7/13, I had biometrics done on 8/3, and my EAD expires on 10/26. I have been a nervous wreck because I'm at risk of losing my job. I go to school and pay rent, pay tuition, and maintain myself. I'm wondering how you guys managed to convince your places of employments to place you on leave? My supervisor was being very understanding, and he initially said they would place me on leave for as long as we needed. He then contacted HR which apparently contacted the company's immigration lawyer who said it would be far too risky to keep me on leave because it would mean I'd be on the payroll still. So as of right now I'm being terminated on 10/26. I am completely devastated. My supervisor was trying to be understanding but HR said that our company faces fines for keeping me on payroll after my EAD expiration date. Any advice for me?

semaj 10-10-2016 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danizada789 (Post 582833)
Hey guys,
USCIS received my case on 7/13, I had biometrics done on 8/3, and my EAD expires on 10/26. I have been a nervous wreck because I'm at risk of losing my job. I go to school and pay rent, pay tuition, and maintain myself. I'm wondering how you guys managed to convince your places of employments to place you on leave? My supervisor was being very understanding, and he initially said they would place me on leave for as long as we needed. He then contacted HR which apparently contacted the company's immigration lawyer who said it would be far too risky to keep me on leave because it would mean I'd be on the payroll still. So as of right now I'm being terminated on 10/26. I am completely devastated. My supervisor was trying to be understanding but HR said that our company faces fines for keeping me on payroll after my EAD expiration date. Any advice for me?

You are gonna have to wait it out, dude.

turmalina 10-10-2016 11:57 PM

Unfortunately, they are right on terminating you. Like many things with us, it's a tricky situation, not only is the company exposing themselves, but you as well. You also don't want to be working when you're not authorized. It's an unfortunate reality we have to face, but it's best we are all off of payroll. Ultimately, think ahead, this will probably come up when you are trying to get legal status in the future.

sk16 10-11-2016 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akkiano (Post 582803)
*BUMP*

Now that I've been unemployed for over a month, thought I'd dig this thread up to see if others that are on the same boat want to share their story.

I expired 9/4 and my job put me on a 60 day leave. I was really hoping I would get an approval before the first 30 days was up, but alas, no such luck with USCIS. Now I'm counting down the last 26 days I have left at this point along with any hope that I will be able to return to my job :cry:

I've been living a frugal life to the max for about 2 months now and have relied on my savings to pay the bills this last month that I've been without income. I was considering taking up Uber/Lyft but haven't done so because I want that to be a last resort if I see myself struggling to make ends meet.

In this month-long, unemployed wait, I've tried to keep from losing my shit from anxiety and worry by keeping busy with house work. Now that that's drying up, I've been taking up more exercise. Have stayed away from Netflix like the plague — don't nobody need to be binge watching right now. I'd rather be semi-productive while doing nothing.

And I think that is key for those of us that have been put on leave; try to use the time to be productive. Do things that you never had enough time to do before, work on skills to improve at your job and if necessary, start preparing to go on the hunt for a new one. The free time available is the only silver lining in this otherwise total shit pile of a situation; use it and use it well my friends.

since your case will have been pending for more than 105 days in some days, you should contact uscis. i just saw they updated their inquiry page to include that message for DACA.