DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   applying for jobs! help! (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=42207)

20Daisy13 03-27-2013 02:05 AM

applying for jobs! help!

I hope someone can help me out with ANY advice you may have.

I'm wanting to apply for jobs after being approved for DACA, but I don't know if I should put my past work experience on my resume. I'm working illegally at my job right now but I don't know if I should put this place as job experience. What if the potential employer will ask my current employer about my SSN or legal status..?? or should I just say I've never worked??

Thanks in advance!

kaptainslapaho 03-27-2013 02:07 AM

Re: applying for jobs! help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20Daisy13 (Post 450642)
I hope someone can help me out with ANY advice you may have.

I'm wanting to apply for jobs after being approved for DACA, but I don't know if I should put my past work experience on my resume. I'm working illegally at my job right now but I don't know if I should put this place as job experience. What if the potential employer will ask my current employer about my SSN or legal status..?? or should I just say I've never worked??

Thanks in advance!

they're not supposed to ask. .or your current employer answer
and if you find out they did you can sue them I think. .or report them and they'll get fined. .

Giancoli 03-27-2013 03:43 AM

The only reason you shouldn't put it is if you've worked under a different name. And if you have use a fake social security number, but I'm not to sure about that one. Your potential new employer can only ask your old/current employer, if you give them permission to speak to them, about your work ethic and non legal stuff.

circasurvive 03-27-2013 07:10 AM

It's a non issue as your current employer is legally bound to ensure the privacy of your information. Nonetheless, your current employer is at risk for not validating your work authorization in the first place, so I doubt they'll release any of that information.

20Daisy13 03-27-2013 08:12 AM

Thank you guys for your responses! It's greatly appreciated!

That's the thing though. That's why I'm worried because I've been working there for almost 5 years, it's the only real job experience I have. But I've been working there with a "made up" SSN. What if they do a background check at the new place and that job doesn't show up? Do you guys think that will be an issue?? or what would I tell them?

Infamousknight 03-27-2013 09:57 AM

Yes that would be an issue. Is it possible to update your SSN at your current place.

I've been working at my current job for nearly 7yrs w/o SSN. So you kind of bring up a good point about the background check. Because if I don't put my current job, than it would be like I had to no experience and had been sitting at home for the last 4yrs since graduation.

2Face 03-27-2013 10:16 AM

Go ahead and put that under your work experience. Its not going to matter. The fact is you are lawfully present currently.

circasurvive 03-27-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 450719)
Go ahead and put that under your work experience. Its not going to matter. The fact is you are lawfully present currently.

Exactly. More than likely, they're not going to care what you did in the past unless it's a job requiring some sort of clearance. If you have a verifiable social security number, you're good.

20Daisy13 03-27-2013 10:50 PM

Ok! So from all the advice I've received most people have told me that they shouldn't ask about any of that. That the possible employer wants to know if I'm a good, responsible employee! So I'm going to do it! I'm going to start sending in job applications!

Thank you all so much!

Wish me luck and pray for me! :)

Starz 03-28-2013 09:21 PM

Just make sure everything u put on resume is truth, bacuz they will call every one of em and verify, thats what background check company do.