DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FL drivers license (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=48658)

Leeleex24 05-06-2013 06:00 PM

FL drivers license

I just recently got approved. I am just waiting to get my working permit and approval letters. and I know once i get them, i have to apply for my ss.

Has anyone already gotten their florida license?
How long do they give it to you for?
What was the whole process like? timeline
and how does it feel to be able to driver now without worries?

Dres2011 05-06-2013 09:44 PM

Re: FL drivers license

1.Yes
2.You get a Paper license then you get a mailed in card about a week later
3. It took me about 2 hours ( just take your EAD,SSN and Approval Letters and anything else that shows your living address)
4. 0-60 in 5.0 seconds.

arclite 05-06-2013 11:49 PM

I got my actual license in hand at the DMV after passing the driving test. Some people got the paper and then had to wait for the actual in the mail. Overall it feels great being able to drive. Complete freedom. No more riding on the city bus.

Angel25 05-07-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arclite (Post 471853)
I got my actual license in hand at the DMV after passing the driving test. Some people got the paper and then had to wait for the actual in the mail. Overall it feels great being able to drive. Complete freedom. No more riding on the city bus.

When you did the driving test, did you had to bring someone who has a license??

arclite 05-07-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel25 (Post 471896)
When you did the driving test, did you had to bring someone who has a license??

My husband was there but it didnt matter. They didnt say anything to him. All they care about is that the car is in good working condition and that the car has insurance.

oneday6 05-07-2013 01:19 PM

I'm from FL and still waiting to get approved. I've never driven before and I'm 26.

If I opt to get my learners first, then do I have to wait a certain period of time till I can get my real license?

satnam 05-07-2013 01:47 PM

I got my drivers license today. Was given it immediately did not need to wait for it to be mailed.

Some issues though, expiration date is 1 year from now :(. They didn't even match my EAD.
And naturally it says "TEMPORARY" in big red letters.

A teller at the bank asked for ID so I used that, she thought that this kind of DL is what you get when you lose yours. Hence "temporary" heh... great.

JTSnow 05-07-2013 02:31 PM

I have an appointment to go renew my learner's license on May 30. It's been six years since it expired so hopefully all I have to do is pay the $63 (renewal+delinquent fee) and I will be good to go.

rlmnk 05-07-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTSnow (Post 472146)
I have an appointment to go renew my learner's license on May 30. It's been six years since it expired so hopefully all I have to do is pay the $63 (renewal+delinquent fee) and I will be good to go.

When I went to go renew my Driver's license, it had been expired for three years, and they didn't charge me a delinquent fee since it had been expired for a long time, even the DMV employee was surprised about that.

For my two proofs of address they only took my approval notice, and my SSN printout (which showed my current address). I had a whole bunch of other bills and my lease agreement but they didn't need them.

After talking to the guy and answering a few questions, he took my picture, had me do the quick vision test, and pay the $48. A few minutes later I was walking out with my new driver's license valid for one year (which is still better than nothing)

Michy326 05-08-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneday6 (Post 472104)
I'm from FL and still waiting to get approved. I've never driven before and I'm 26.

If I opt to get my learners first, then do I have to wait a certain period of time till I can get my real license?

No, you don't. It's only if you are not 18 when you get your permit that you have to wait.