DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Undocumented riding on plane? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11817)

jo121jo 06-18-2009 04:25 PM

Undocumented riding on plane?

is that possible that an undocumented college student ride on 'internal' plane?
to be specific, I'm trying to ride on plane that is going from Texas to California.

All I can obtain is, passport(valid, but no valid visa), college ID(that has my picture), that's about it.

Can anyone tell me really specific information?

I really want this..

Thanks.

mugi 06-18-2009 04:59 PM

Re: Undocumented riding on plane?

check tsa.gov for more information. but they state your valid passport is fine. I've flown several times this year into and out of newark, chicago-midway, jfk, etc, and the only thing they all do is make me do a "random" screening. You should be fine. Just dress well, smile, be polite, and have your laces untied (I usually take my shoes off after I make it through the first check point at newark. good luck.

plOp 06-18-2009 09:02 PM

using a passport with no valid visa and also using college id is risky, der was thread here where a guy almost got caught or something

yurchie 06-19-2009 12:36 AM

I've used my non-US passport before, no problems.

negrita_028 06-19-2009 12:49 AM

i got this from prernalal.com
hehe. i had to give you credit prerna!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airport Travel Tips for Undocumented Immigrants
Okay, don’t travel if you can avoid it. But if you cannot, here are some basic tips that should alleviate some of your fears.

Airport Travel – Dos and Don’ts

Dress nicely and smartly. Avoid any fancy metallic-embedded clothing that might set off detectors and subject you to a strip-search.

Ideally, do a web-check in 24 hours ahead of time so you don’t have to stand in line.

There are 3 checkpoints

-A TSA agent that checks your valid government-issued photo ID and flight ticket. TSA is not immigration and not supposed to look for a visa but they have time to waste sometimes. It also makes sense for this reason to fly during heavy traffic hours.

Open up your passport to the valid ID page so the agent doesn’t have to flip through the passport and see any expired visas. If you have a state ID, you need not worry about this though REAL ID may now stipulate some additional documentation. DO NOT EVER answer immigration questions that may reveal your status. You have a right to a lawyer if you are detained. If you end up in trouble at any time, call 415-808-4444

(If you are flying with checked-in bagged, that would be your first checkpoint—checking in the baggage. Airlines now charge $15 for this. If you have a short itinerary, skip the checked baggage and simply get two small carry-on items on the airplane like a backpack and a laptop bag).

-The main security checkpoint where you are subjected to a metal detector search

-And finally, handing over your airline ticket to the agent.

Tips for the Main Security Checkpoint

You do not need your ID for this checkpoint but just a boarding pass.

After smiling nicely and speaking politely to the first TSA agent, prepare to take some empty tubs and take off your shoes, watch, belt, cellphone and anything else that may set off metal detectors. Laptops, electronic items such as video games and toiletry bags must be taken out of bags and screened separately in a tub. Toiletries should be in a separate clear ziplock bag with your liquids separated. Water bottles and food items from outside would probably be trashed but you can buy food at the gates (last checkpoint) to take on the plane trip.

After passing through this main security point, you are safe. You MIGHT get subject to a random search or if you somehow set off the metal detectors. Stay calm and let them do a pat-down.

It goes without saying that after passing the second checkpoint, you should gather all belongings and head to camp out in your gate area till your flight starts boarding. You also do not need your ID at this point.

On the plane

You’ll get a complimentary beverage. Snacks are $$.

Befriend: Virgin America

Airport travel is tricky. From my experiences and those of other undocumented youth, I have no trouble deducing that a Latino or Asian male with a foreign passport is likely to undergo more scrutiny than a model minority or European female with similar identification. It’s racial profiling 101. Period.

Vinter 06-19-2009 02:44 AM

Thanks for the informative article, negrita_028 and Prerna, too!
I will test my Washington DL in July from Seattle to Austin. Definitely report back to you guys.

j83 06-19-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo121jo (Post 134123)
is that possible that an undocumented college student ride on 'internal' plane?
to be specific, I'm trying to ride on plane that is going from Texas to California.

Yep, as long as you stay in the 50 United States - not in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. I'd recommend you stick to smaller/regional airports -- those that don't have international flights so there is no CBP in the area. Like instead of flying from Chicago O'hare in Chicago (ORD), fly from Chicago Midway (MDW) - out of Texas, instead of Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), fly from Dallas Love Field(DAL) or instead of Houston International (IAH), fly from Houston Hobby (HOU)-- when flying to California, instead of Los Angeles (LAX), fly to Burbank(BUR), or instead of San Francisco(SFO), fly to Oakland(OAK) -- Southwest Airlines usually flies from regional airports (this is not ad plug LOL but you asked! )

If you guys have more questions, just PM me, I fly quite often (20 flights so far this year, about 40+ last year).

dukey11 06-19-2009 02:43 PM

you just need a valid passport that's all
unless you get pulled randomly for extensive search
I've flown from NY to Chicago then to Portland when I was getting my DL there
with just my non-us passport with no visa on it
just don't carry anything that will cause them to search you

frbc13 06-19-2009 03:45 PM

Ask this one member his name is K-Man, he loves this type of questions.;)

Transient 06-20-2009 12:05 AM

I went to PR for Spring break three years ago. I went with several students and some faculty there as well.. so that might have helped but either way I didn't have a problem using only my college ID. Things may have changed since then tho..