DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Is there any penalties for leaving the US? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=82777)

ColombianPilot 09-17-2018 08:51 AM

Is there any penalties for leaving the US?

I am currently trying to get a job at a regional airline in the US, but most require a green card or US passport. I’ve been thinking of going back to Colombia and working for an airline down there and starting the process over once in in Colombia, but I’m not sure if there’s a penalty for leaving now, would I get in trouble or would leaving now make it harder for me to come back later in life? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated

isk84life 09-17-2018 10:03 AM

Re: Is there any penalties for leaving the US?

Lawyer

trac3rt 09-17-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColombianPilot (Post 719301)
I am currently trying to get a job at a regional airline in the US, but most require a green card or US passport. I’ve been thinking of going back to Colombia and working for an airline down there and starting the process over once in in Colombia, but I’m not sure if there’s a penalty for leaving now, would I get in trouble or would leaving now make it harder for me to come back later in life? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated

It depends, have you been unlawfully in the US for more than 180 or 360 days? If so, you will face the 3 or 10 year bar under section 212(a)(9)(B):

...an alien is inadmissible if the alien has accrued a specified period of unlawful presence, leaves the United States after accruing the unlawful presence, and then seeks admission during the period specified in (either 3 years or 10 years after the departure, depending on the section 212(a)(9)(B)(i) duration of the accrued unlawful presence).

See:
https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...0-0-18383.html

May want to check with a lawyer also.

MIdreamer 09-17-2018 12:19 PM

The chance of you coming back would be hard because you have illegal residency on your record even if you wait out the 10-year ban which I assume you will get.

ColombianPilot 09-17-2018 12:47 PM

Yeah, you’re totally right. I’m just thinking through potential ideas but I’m making sure that I’m well informed before I do.

DACA-IR-DA 10-13-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColombianPilot (Post 719301)

That is not true. You can work with an EAD unless it’s specified usually a Federal government worker. Do you have AP? Are you on any Visa right now?

There is the 3/10 years Bar if you leave for Overstayers.

nothingcompares92 10-15-2018 10:25 AM

How were you able to get your commercial license or any license at all? I’m also wanting to be a pilot but I have asked around and I have been told that I cannot get my pilot license with just DACA.

Pianoswithoutfaith 10-15-2018 01:07 PM

Wait who told you that?

ColombianPilot 10-15-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DACA-IR-DA (Post 720091)
That is not true. You can work with an EAD unless it’s specified usually a Federal government worker. Do you have AP? Are you on any Visa right now?

There is the 3/10 years Bar if you leave for Overstayers.

You’re right, I can work with an EAD, but the regional airlines require a green card as part of hiring process because you have to be able to come and go from the US if needed.

ColombianPilot 10-15-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothingcompares92 (Post 720115)
How were you able to get your commercial license or any license at all? I’m also wanting to be a pilot but I have asked around and I have been told that I cannot get my pilot license with just DACA.

With your work permit you can still apply to get your ratings you just have to be pre-approved by the government before you do any of your ratings. Talk to your local flight school and they school be able to help you, but the website is called “flightschoolcandidates.gov” it’s pretty simple it’s just expensive.