DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Journeys into online dating (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=76029)

akkiano 02-18-2017 10:11 PM

Journeys into online dating

It's been trying immigration times for sure since the orange man got elected — even more so since he took office with the whole will he/will he not cancel DACA guessing game.

I've been forced to re-examine my life priorities and come to the conclusion that I need to give dating a helluva lot more importance for the obvious reason that finding a US citizen spouse is the ultimate salvation in the form of a pathway to AOS. Of course, I ain't in it for just the green card; there are other beneficial aspects to marriage like love, booty on the regular, not being alone, etc.

So single life and freedoms, count your days because I've officially embarked on a journey to find my savior bae and opened an online dating account (who has time to sift through bars and clubs, not me that's who).

Anyone else got inspired by Trump to try online dating or has had some experience with it? I'm an avid hater of putting all my business out there, so it's tough trying to be open enough to get good matches but still retain some privacy.

andreagb 02-19-2017 12:52 PM

Re: Journeys into online dating

Not into bars or nightclubs either because I want to avoid any trouble with this new administration. Was thinking of doing online dating as well but it's hard with two children. I have businesses and assets to think about as well, I never thought dating would be so hard after a separation. I wish you good luck on your online dating!

carnivore 02-20-2017 12:03 AM

I can't tell you how many times I've tried and failed. Also I've been banned from okcupid 6 times for no apparent reason (I'm like the chyno of okcupid). Dating sites are very anti men. If you're a man (unless you're 6'2 or taller, white athletic rich), spare yourself the frustration and don't even try it. The problem is that women online are extremely picky and some only have profiles to validate their self worth (i.e. getting messages occasionally throughout the day is an ego boost). I have a co-worker who's tall, rich, smart and good looking and even he said he gave up on it. Well, this is in nyc so your experience might be different in other places.

Ianus 02-20-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akkiano (Post 604985)
Anyone else got inspired by Trump to try online dating or has had some experience with it? I'm an avid hater of putting all my business out there, so it's tough trying to be open enough to get good matches but still retain some privacy.

If you are serious about online dating, then remember it is all about your approach. It is important to detail your profile with information that can be relatable to your reader. If you don't know who that is it makes it that much tougher to do online dating. If your profile does come off as positive and sincere it makes it that much more difficult.

You will also have to come to the reality of giving up some privacy. A public dating profile is not the place for it.

Smooth 02-20-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnivore (Post 605223)
I can't tell you how many times I've tried and failed. Also I've been banned from okcupid 6 times for no apparent reason (I'm like the chyno of okcupid). Dating sites are very anti men. If you're a man (unless you're 6'2 or taller, white athletic rich), spare yourself the frustration and don't even try it. The problem is that women online are extremely picky and some only have profiles to validate their self worth (i.e. getting messages occasionally throughout the day is an ego boost). I have a co-worker who's tall, rich, smart and good looking and even he said he gave up on it. Well, this is in nyc so your experience might be different in other places.

^^This.

MAEZX 02-20-2017 12:04 PM

Imagine how difficult it is being a gay man

IamAman 02-20-2017 12:35 PM

I've been online since 1992. I could write a book about online dating.

I used to get on BBSes. These were mini-online services prior to the internet. Some had one or two phone lines, but the bigger ones that multiple lines and so people could chat online and get to know each other. The first big one where I used my real name was one run by a nerd would get 9 phone lines coming to his apartment and he had 9 modems stacked on top of each other. He would have meetings every Friday night so 60 people would just show up. Most were 20 and under and I noticed that holy crap, a quarter of them are girls and some of them are pretty decent looking. Hot even.

I mostly just met regular friends off there and some I'm still friends with some 2o years later but the seed was planted that for people living in large cities who don't like bars, you can meet people this way. The only problem was that it was still extremely nerdy to get online so "normal" people weren't there yet.

Then came the internet and for a while the BBSes were on the internet in a mishmash of website/telenet before it all became the web and AOL so I met a bunch of people off AOL ...even dated someone I met off there for a couple of years in college. Back then, people were reluctant to meet online so it would take months before you even met them in person. Because you talked for so long before meeting, one of two things would happen - either you'd both be as you expected each other to look and act in person in which case, it would be a great feeling or you got catfished and boy, it was awwwkward.

These days, it's all about the profile photo so have good ones. If you're attractive then you're in luck. If you're not, then you better be rich because that's what people go for. If you're good looking that will get you in the door and you can easily meet people off tinder, OKCupid, or match. If you're more of a great personality and thick wallet kind of person then you'd need Match.com and you need to explain that you're secure and talk about your work and put your resume out there essentially. If you're older, that's what women look for, security.

Have fun!

Laterlater 02-20-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnivore (Post 605223)
...Well, this is in nyc so your experience might be different in other places.

Hahahah.

Their is less of that instagram self-promotion and validation in smaller towns such as in GA. I bet it is bad in places like NYC an Cali. I completely agree with you there, based off conversations with folks from said places.

4n0nym0us 02-20-2017 02:15 PM

I've tried okcupid before and met some people that I am still friends with. I sorta forgot about that site for a while but after this whole orange man bs I decided to open an account again. Most of the people on okcupid are creeps but my approach was to message guys that seem interesting to me and didn't ask for s3x in the first message.

carnivore 02-20-2017 03:43 PM

To give you an idea of how bad it is, I had "ask me for my photography website" on my profile. I sent out about 200 messages, got 20 replies, most of them not really interested, some kind of -- but not a single one ever asked to see my photography. That's how self centered women are on these sites. By the way, I'm okay looking, athletic, nice vacation pictures, have a sense of humor, and unique first messages. Women will reject you based on any little detail.