DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rep. Luis Gutierrez will meet with several DHS officials. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24030)

Smooth 08-21-2011 08:24 PM

Rep. Luis Gutierrez will meet with several DHS officials.

Hello everyone,

Rep. Luis Gutierrez appeared on a Spanish television show called Al Punto (with Jorge Ramos) and declared that he and other legislators will be meeting with several DHS officials in the first week of September to receive more information on the Obama administration's "new" deportation policy. Gutierrez made it clear that DREAMERS who currently have a deportation order or get arrested later on are not deportable (something that the Spanish media has not been clear on) and declared that he will find out if we are, hence, eligible to receive a work permit. In doing so, Gutierrez recommended that we ignore what we hear from legal experts, news, and other sources and told us to wait to receive official details on this recent deportation policy from him and the other legislators who will be meeting with the DHS officials the first week of September.

I apologize that I cannot provide a link for this news. Again, I recorded the televised interview.

So, given that we are not deportable, should we demand work permits?

JohannBernoulli1667 08-21-2011 08:40 PM

Re: Rep. Luis Gutierrez will meet with several DHS officials.

Go Guitierrez!

ivan81 08-21-2011 08:55 PM

Sounds logical, if we are not deportable, we should be allowed to work legally, and at the same time contribute by being taxed. Rep. Gutierrez is like the hispanic version of Sen. Durbin, thank you so much Mr. Gutierrez!!

DreamerSD23 08-21-2011 09:00 PM

He's the man!

JohannBernoulli1667 08-21-2011 10:07 PM

I hope that Gutierrez can clarify and bring answers to all the questions that we have.

star293 08-21-2011 10:38 PM

yay :D

Smooth 08-21-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivan81 (Post 231544)
Sounds logical, if we are not deportable, we should be allowed to work legally, and at the same time contribute by being taxed. Rep. Gutierrez is like the hispanic version of Sen. Durbin, thank you so much Mr. Gutierrez!!

I might be asking for too much. But, I think all the undocumented students who would benefit from the DA should be given work permits now since we are not deportable.

drock226 08-21-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth (Post 231560)
I might be asking for too much. But, I think all the undocumented students who would benefit from the DA should be given work permits now since we are not deportable.

I totally agree, I am happy to hear that no more dreamer can be deported and I rejoice with those who were in deportation proceedings in that they can eventually apply for a work permit. I do hope that they can make a way so that anyone that is a dreamer who is undocumented be given a way to acquire a working permit.

It just makes so much sense that we contribute by paying taxes so we can help the economy. All of us here are just on standby mode where we can really help if we are given the chance.

QUOVADIS2009 08-21-2011 10:54 PM

From the White House Blog: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/...estions-twitte

@joseiswriting asks @whitehouse
question: so you'd have to be in deportation proceeding to get temporary status?

response byCecilla Munoz @whitehouse:

@joseiswriting: (1 of 2) We're clearing out the caseload to make room for high priority cases & keeping low priorities out of the caseload.
@joseiswriting (2of2) impt to understand there's no affirmative process for people to apply for. For that we need imm reform in Congress. "

The second part of @whitehouse answer could mean that unless you are in deportation proceedings, you can not potentially apply for work permit. I hope this is not so.

The declaration by Rep Luis Gutierrez gives us some hope. Maybe we should ask Rep Luis Gutierrez to insist on this during his meeting with DHS.

JohannBernoulli1667 08-21-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QUOVADIS2009 (Post 231563)
Maybe we should ask Rep Luis Gutierrez to insist on this during his meeting with DHS.

How do we contact Gutierrez?