DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   grad schools (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41368)

immario1991 03-19-2013 08:49 PM

grad schools

I think I know the answer to this question but I just wanna make sure. daca doesn't make us eligible for any sort of financial aid right? I wanna go to grad school but it seems impossible without scholarships. are there any other ways to get scholarships like private scholarships or grants? also even if we can't get financial aid can we at least take out student loans? thanks

IamAman 03-19-2013 08:52 PM

Re: grad schools

Quote:

Originally Posted by immario1991 (Post 447399)
I think I know the answer to this question but I just wanna make sure. daca doesn't make us eligible for any sort of financial aid right? I wanna go to grad school but it seems impossible without scholarships. are there any other ways to get scholarships like private scholarships or grants? also even if we can't get financial aid can we at least take out student loans? thanks

A private scholarship can do whatever they want to do with their money. If you have the grades, why not apply?

FlyinAgainstTheWind 03-19-2013 09:49 PM

It would help if you post what State you are from.

Infamousknight 03-19-2013 11:38 PM

I think it depends on the state and the Institution. I'll be looking into that soon. Cause I'm going to needed.

I know you can take out a loan.

Task_1539 03-20-2013 12:04 AM

As stated, Private Scholarships can do what they want with their money. Some have a few pre-requisites. Don't be afraid to ask!

A loan would still be difficult, as OP would most likely require a co-singer. Need parents with SSN to do that if noone else is available like a spouse.

OP, if you are fresh out of undergrad, some DREAMers here have recommended it is best to get some work experience before moving on to graduate level work. Especially in some areas like Business Administration.

If you don't have a underlying urgency to get into grad school asap, consider researching whether in your field a year or more experience before grad school would be advisable. In this time you could build some credit and save up $$.

Pianoswithoutfaith 03-20-2013 07:22 AM

basically you find a private school or look for private scholarships, you tell your situation and you can get free money to attend. Lots of people here apparently just told their schools their situation and were given money so its worth a shot.

What grad school are you looking btw?

Just go and ask and if they say no then they said no but what if they say yes? "we can help you"

Barca10messi 03-21-2013 09:54 AM

grad schools offer assistanshis. so try to see if you can get one. they cover all your tuition plus salary. That is how i finished my MA and now finishing PHD.

circasurvive 03-21-2013 05:26 PM

You will not be able to qualify for most loans without a co-signer.

Rev_Scholar 03-21-2013 07:44 PM

Look into Research Assistantships, Fellowships, or Teaching Assistanships which will most likely offset most, if not all, of your costs. I'm sure you'd be eligible for those now if you got the work permit.

fortheloveofaba 03-21-2013 10:31 PM

If you have been approved for DACA the you would be eligible of Assistantships. I am currently working for a company the contributes money to defray to cost of tuition every year. In addition to that, I save my money each semester, use my tax refunds and skip semesters all to fund my pending MBA. Its hard. If you find an assistantship do it!! its far easier.