DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Traveling to Puerto Rico (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83358)

tomherguz 02-12-2019 01:44 PM

Traveling to Puerto Rico

So I’m looking to plan a trip to Puerto Rico for my birthday, is it ok to travel to Puerto Rico if you only have DACA? If anyone has traveled there can you tell me how your experience was? Thank you in advance!

Malign0n 02-12-2019 02:28 PM

Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico

I’ve been there. It’s safe to travel there. I took a flight from my home city, connected in Charlotte NC, then directly went to San Juan (all American Airlines). My mom and I went for 10 days. Was the best trip of my life so far. We stayed in Ceiba Country Inn (unfortunately closed :’/) in the mountains near the yunque national rainforest. We traveled everywhere by rental car, the faster routes are the toll highways btw. San Juan has their viejo (old) San Juan with Spanish colonial houses and the castle fortress overlooking the sea. The Bacardi Rum distillery is just outside San Juan to the west. When we went they gave tickets for free drinks, that unfortunately also changed where they charge to enter now. The 10 day trip was the longest and most enjoyable experience I had.

The flights are all domestic (and cheap!) we paid $315 per person which can go below $300 maybe close to 250 if lucky. It feels like visiting a foreign country within the US. We also stayed well under budget since things are cheaper there too (don’t know if that changed). There was a thread about dreamers visiting PR don’t know what happened to it

jaws 02-17-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 732861)
I’ve been there. It’s safe to travel there. I took a flight from my home city, connected in Charlotte NC, then directly went to San Juan (all American Airlines). My mom and I went for 10 days. Was the best trip of my life so far. We stayed in Ceiba Country Inn (unfortunately closed :’/) in the mountains near the yunque national rainforest. We traveled everywhere by rental car, the faster routes are the toll highways btw. San Juan has their viejo (old) San Juan with Spanish colonial houses and the castle fortress overlooking the sea. The Bacardi Rum distillery is just outside San Juan to the west. When we went they gave tickets for free drinks, that unfortunately also changed where they charge to enter now. The 10 day trip was the longest and most enjoyable experience I had.

The flights are all domestic (and cheap!) we paid $315 per person which can go below $300 maybe close to 250 if lucky. It feels like visiting a foreign country within the US. We also stayed well under budget since things are cheaper there too (don’t know if that changed). There was a thread about dreamers visiting PR don’t know what happened to it

Did you go after AP was revoked?

Malign0n 02-17-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaws (Post 733377)
Did you go after AP was revoked?

No and you don’t need advance parole to visit. All you need is an ID for airport security

CUSenior 02-22-2019 01:31 AM

Related question: what if I have an international layover?

Say I theoretically decide to fly to Guam (which I’m allowed to do since it’s a US territory). What if I had a layover in Tokyo? Like I wouldn’t leave the airport and I would just stay in the gate area.

Malign0n 02-22-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUSenior (Post 733710)
Related question: what if I have an international layover?

Say I theoretically decide to fly to Guam (which I’m allowed to do since it’s a US territory). What if I had a layover in Tokyo? Like I wouldn’t leave the airport and I would just stay in the gate area.

You’d have left the United States no question. Going to Guam even on a direct flight from Hawaii is sketchy since you’d be going through customs on the way back home. There was one person on here that went to the US Virgin Islands, went through customs coming back, and was NOID (notice of intent to deny) when they renewed their DACA. Don’t know whatever happened to her tbh. The notice said she had left the US and so her DACA would be canceled. The last we heard of her was she was going to fight the NOID

Ianus 02-25-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 733718)
There was one person on here that went to the US Virgin Islands, went through customs coming back, and was NOID (notice of intent to deny) when they renewed their DACA. Don’t know whatever happened to her tbh. The notice said she had left the US and so her DACA would be canceled. The last we heard of her was she was going to fight the NOID

Do you happen to know where the original post is?

fl_dreamer 02-25-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 733718)
You’d have left the United States no question. Going to Guam even on a direct flight from Hawaii is sketchy since you’d be going through customs on the way back home. There was one person on here that went to the US Virgin Islands, went through customs coming back, and was NOID (notice of intent to deny) when they renewed their DACA. Don’t know whatever happened to her tbh. The notice said she had left the US and so her DACA would be canceled. The last we heard of her was she was going to fight the NOID

Dang, that is unfortunate. Wonder what happened to her.

I went to PR in 2015. It was the closet I have come to FEELING like visiting a place "foreign". The old Spanish homes in Old San Juan were my fav. Take a direct flight if possible. It is the same as traveling domestically - Show your DL and you're good. I did have my EAD card on me just incase but was not asked for it.

Malign0n 02-25-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_dreamer (Post 733878)
Dang, that is unfortunate. Wonder what happened to her.

I went to PR in 2015. It was the closet I have come to FEELING like visiting a place "foreign". The old Spanish homes in Old San Juan were my fav. Take a direct flight if possible. It is the same as traveling domestically - Show your DL and you're good. I did have my EAD card on me just incase but was not asked for it.

Exactly! I had the same “foreign” feeling. Yep, airport security only needs to see if your name matches the ticket and your ID and you only go through them at your home airport when you leave And at The airport at San Juan when you’re coming back.

I didn’t have a terrible time with connecting flights. I enjoyed them actually, there was only like an hour and 30 minute layover so it was almost seemless going from airplane to airplane

Malign0n 02-25-2019 01:00 PM

For those interested about the person that visited the U.S Virgin Islands I posted the link to the thread here

dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=72389&highlight=Virgin+Islands