DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   $900 tax penalty for not having insurance (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=76094)

Kaisaurus 02-23-2017 12:11 AM

Re: $900 tax penalty for not having insurance

When you file your taxes you have to fill out form 8965 Healthcare exemptions. Our exemption code is C. You will find it on the IRS forms site. Good luck!

texaskid 02-23-2017 05:30 AM

Even USCs. I know of quite a few ppl who just check that having to pay Health Insurance is too expensive, and they get the exception, no questions asked. And it has been going on for years. It's probably because they're not making upwards of 6 figures, so the chances of them getting audited are low, but if they don't have to pay, you shouldn't, either

Ianus 02-23-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaisaurus (Post 605930)
When you file your taxes you have to fill out form 8965 Healthcare exemptions. Our exemption code is C. You will find it on the IRS forms site. Good luck!

Exactly, all one needs to do is ask for Code C.

DACA is NOT a legal immigrant status, it only confers legal presence and stops unlawful presence. The Obamacare penalty applies only to approved green card holders, including approved asylum and refugee immigrants as well.

kbs111 02-23-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danieltij (Post 605921)
Did you actually pay the fee?

Phew. Glad I posted this thread before I filed...

So word for word what TurboTax says:

"
Anyone on your taxes who is not a legal U.S. resident may qualify to have the penalty for going without health insurance in 2016 waived. This includes anyone who does not have one of the following immigration statuses.

Lawful permanent resident (LPR/Green Card holder)
Lawful temporary resident
Asylee
Refugee
Cuban/Haitian entrant
Paroled into the U.S.
Conditional entrant granted before 1980
Battered spouse, child or parent
Victim of trafficking and his or her Spouse, child, sibling or parent
Granted withholding of deportation or withholding of removal, under the immigration laws or under the Convention Against Torture (CAT)
Individual with non-immigrant status (includes worker visas, student visas, and citizens of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, and Palau)
Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
Administrative order staying removal issued by the Department of Homeland Security
Member of a federally-recognized Indian tribe or American Indian born in Canada
Resident of American Samoa
Deferred Enforced Departure (DED)
Deferred Action Status
"
I did not know they differentiated between other types of Deferred Action and us. Sorry if I spooked anyone, and thanks for the feedback.