DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Making forum private (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=79218)

Beyonder 11-10-2017 10:27 AM

Making forum private

Thoughts on changing the forum to private so that only members can view the entire forum and guests can only see some sections?

Got_Daca 11-10-2017 12:45 PM

Re: Making forum private

What are you so afraid of?

bad.bunny 11-10-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got_Daca (Post 652118)
What are you so afraid of?

Some people don't feel comfortable sharing their stories, information, etc. on a forum that looka outdated.

Beyonder 11-10-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad.bunny (Post 652124)
Some people don't feel comfortable sharing their stories, information, etc. on a forum that looka outdated.

This. And there are some things that members would write here that might be better off to be kept private.

Just saying..

BestBefore1984 11-10-2017 03:54 PM

I use my real picture. Nothing to hide here. You will live a more fulfilled life, if you do so in a way that you portray your authentic self.

IamAman 11-10-2017 08:03 PM

I am all for private.

g33k 11-10-2017 11:15 PM

Its only a forum. Its not like you are posting personal stuff.

IamAman 11-11-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestBefore1984 (Post 652164)
I use my real picture. Nothing to hide here. You will live a more fulfilled life, if you do so in a way that you portray your authentic self.

Using your own photo is a luxury afforded to you due to your circumstances that is not afforded to many on here. If you can put a face behind the name then more power to you but many of us on here depend on family and friends who would be harmed if we were outed. Not to mention getting hurt if it was found out by someone with an ax to grind against us.

IamAman 11-11-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g33k (Post 652217)
Its only a forum. Its not like you are posting personal stuff.

It doesn't have to be personal. How do you think Republican interns find information and ammo for their bosses? They google things and can wind up here. Look at how many people on here have asked about advanced parole with the idea of using it as a loophole to adjusting their status. Few people knew about this but all of a sudden it became a discussion in immigration debates.

There are plenty of other discussions on here that could be turned around against us out of context.

Swim19 11-11-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 652251)
It doesn't have to be personal. How do you think Republican interns find information and ammo for their bosses? They google things and can wind up here. Look at how many people on here have asked about advanced parole with the idea of using it as a loophole to adjusting their status. Few people knew about this but all of a sudden it became a discussion in immigration debates.

There are plenty of other discussions on here that could be turned around against us out of context.

This is true, but what's to stop them from making an account and being able to read it anyway? There's no way to vet new users. If enough people are really interested in making it private, I can bring it up to Nick. I do remember having this discussion with him years ago, and he was always for keeping it public.