DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   best friend dating a Trump supporter (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=82625)

applecider 08-11-2018 05:00 AM

best friend dating a Trump supporter

So I just met my best friend's new boyfriend, and boy did shit go down tonight.

I really believe he likes her, he treats her well, he makes her happy... but he is conservative, blatant Trump supporter.

I didn't plan on meeting him tonight, it was more spontaneous so of course, I was wearing one of my many social justice shirts that say "Black lives matter", "no human being is illegal", etc.

I promised my friend I will be nice to him. She really likes this guy, its her first relationship and she wants it to work. I don't think she considered we will be walking into world war 3.

For the record, she is the type who is politically clueless. She has never paid attention to anything, though she knows I am undocumented and active supporter of immigration reform. We became friends way back when we were young, before I myself realized I was undocumented.

So anyway, my friend really wants us to get to know each other, and so we played this silly 20 questions game. I tried to be nice but then he went and opened the Pandora's box and was like "so I see your shirt, are you some kind of social justice warrior type?" and he said it not the nicest way. He said HE isn't. I asked him what he meant and he went on about how he thinks we are now living in an equal society, everyone can vote now, so feminism isn't real, black people only got their jobs because of some minority quota, white guys like him never gets heard, etc. He said that Trump may have done a lot of bad things but he was the best choice out of all, and even now he would still vote for him.

I tried to stand my ground, give clear arguments, and used some of the skills and knowledge Ive learned as an organizer but at the end, it was clear we don't like each other and my best friend was helplessly stuck trying to end the "date" and wanting to go home. We did try to fake it and was like "I respect you for being honest" to each other lol. Overall, I actually thought I was too nice, I really did try to be respectful and calm because this guy makes her happy, and I want her to be happy.

I took her home (I was closer) and she was ready to cry because the guy kept texting her afterwards complaining how patronizing I was to him and he said that the whole thing really sucked because I made him feel like shit. She feels bad because she was the one who arranged us to meet and she is dreading having to see him again because of the possible fight it might ensue.

I told her that I am not here to tell her who to date, and I do apologize that I am part of the reason that she is upset, but remember that this is a guy who supports a guy who wants people like me deported. She said she is worried because he tends to be suicidal, anxious, etc. about mental health, so I told her that it's valid to be concerned about people's mental health but I am not here to baby him because I also needed to advocate for myself.

I don't feel sorry for him, but I do feel sorry for her. She should be enjoying her first relationship and not feel caught in between me and this guy. A part of me looks back on the time when we first became friends, and how different of a person I am now. I was like her before, clueless and apathetic, and this guy and I could have gotten along well if I was still that person who don't care which side you vote on. But I can't go back to being that person. I know what its like now to live like a second class citizen.

Anyways, any of you have experience with friends or people you have to tolerate in your life who are Trump supporters?

EMejia 08-11-2018 09:48 AM

Re: best friend dating a Trump supporter

Yes. There’s this old guy I work with. He’s the biggest Trump supporter at the company. I tried picking his brain a little the other day. I asked him what he thought about Daca and Dreamers. At first he was like you know the Daca thing is a tough situation. He told me about how he got into the country illegally from Honduras when he first got here. He told me how he had to face racism and adversity. But he didn’t let that get in the way of his American Dream. He told me that he respectfully followed the laws that the country has. He married a U.S. citizen and fixed his status. He told me about how he loves the Republican Party and praises everything that they do. He’s voted for the republicans ever since George H W Bush. He said he’s with us about getting legal status and with everyone that doesn’t break the law. But he doesn’t like how we are trying to “force” the government to hand us green cards or anything else. He thinks we should do it the legal way. As in go back to our country and wait our turn. To do it the right and legal way not by protesting or forcing our way for legal status. I told him that it wasn’t that easy just to pack up and leave. ( I never told him I was a dreamer) Told him that most if not all the dreamers aren’t bad people who commit crimes and break the law. I just walked away.
Most of these dumbass people don’t know that we pay taxes and pay a fee every time we apply for our renewal. They are uninformed and hypocrites. Just because they got theirs we can’t get ours. This guy can barely speak English by the way.

JayR9 08-11-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMejia (Post 716876)
Yes. There’s this old guy I work with. He’s the biggest Trump supporter at the company. I tried picking his brain a little the other day. I asked him what he thought about Daca and Dreamers. At first he was like you know the Daca thing is a tough situation. He told me about how he got into the country illegally from Honduras when he first got here. He told me how he had to face racism and adversity. But he didn’t let that get in the way of his American Dream. He told me that he respectfully followed the laws that the country has. He married a U.S. citizen and fixed his status. He told me about how he loves the Republican Party and praises everything that they do. He’s voted for the republicans ever since George H W Bush. He said he’s with us about getting legal status and with everyone that doesn’t break the law. But he doesn’t like how we are trying to “force” the government to hand us green cards or anything else. He thinks we should do it the legal way. As in go back to our country and wait our turn. To do it the right and legal way not by protesting or forcing our way for legal status. I told him that it wasn’t that easy just to pack up and leave. ( I never told him I was a dreamer) Told him that most if not all the dreamers aren’t bad people who commit crimes and break the law. I just walked away.
Most of these dumbass people don’t know that we pay taxes and pay a fee every time we apply for our renewal. They are uninformed and hypocrites. Just because they got theirs we can’t get ours. This guy can barely speak English by the way.

Lmao, why didn't he go back and do it the right way. Fucking hypocrite.

versailles 08-11-2018 12:15 PM

are you a guy or a girl?

IamAman 08-11-2018 12:23 PM

They walk among us. One of my siblings is married to family of Hispanic Trump supporters. I had to delete them off facebook or else I would have said something harsh and it would have made life awkward during the holidays.

JayR9 08-11-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applecider (Post 716872)
So I just met my best friend's new boyfriend, and boy did shit go down tonight.

I really believe he likes her, he treats her well, he makes her happy... but he is conservative, blatant Trump supporter.

I didn't plan on meeting him tonight, it was more spontaneous so of course, I was wearing one of my many social justice shirts that say "Black lives matter", "no human being is illegal", etc.

I promised my friend I will be nice to him. She really likes this guy, its her first relationship and she wants it to work. I don't think she considered we will be walking into world war 3.

For the record, she is the type who is politically clueless. She has never paid attention to anything, though she knows I am undocumented and active supporter of immigration reform. We became friends way back when we were young, before I myself realized I was undocumented.

So anyway, my friend really wants us to get to know each other, and so we played this silly 20 questions game. I tried to be nice but then he went and opened the Pandora's box and was like "so I see your shirt, are you some kind of social justice warrior type?" and he said it not the nicest way. He said HE isn't. I asked him what he meant and he went on about how he thinks we are now living in an equal society, everyone can vote now, so feminism isn't real, black people only got their jobs because of some minority quota, white guys like him never gets heard, etc. He said that Trump may have done a lot of bad things but he was the best choice out of all, and even now he would still vote for him.

I tried to stand my ground, give clear arguments, and used some of the skills and knowledge Ive learned as an organizer but at the end, it was clear we don't like each other and my best friend was helplessly stuck trying to end the "date" and wanting to go home. We did try to fake it and was like "I respect you for being honest" to each other lol. Overall, I actually thought I was too nice, I really did try to be respectful and calm because this guy makes her happy, and I want her to be happy.

I took her home (I was closer) and she was ready to cry because the guy kept texting her afterwards complaining how patronizing I was to him and he said that the whole thing really sucked because I made him feel like shit. She feels bad because she was the one who arranged us to meet and she is dreading having to see him again because of the possible fight it might ensue.

I told her that I am not here to tell her who to date, and I do apologize that I am part of the reason that she is upset, but remember that this is a guy who supports a guy who wants people like me deported. She said she is worried because he tends to be suicidal, anxious, etc. about mental health, so I told her that it's valid to be concerned about people's mental health but I am not here to baby him because I also needed to advocate for myself.

I don't feel sorry for him, but I do feel sorry for her. She should be enjoying her first relationship and not feel caught in between me and this guy. A part of me looks back on the time when we first became friends, and how different of a person I am now. I was like her before, clueless and apathetic, and this guy and I could have gotten along well if I was still that person who don't care which side you vote on. But I can't go back to being that person. I know what its like now to live like a second class citizen.

Anyways, any of you have experience with friends or people you have to tolerate in your life who are Trump supporters?

I have a few Trump Supporters:

1) A mentor of mine: He manages a sizable investment fund and quite the smooth talker. He's a hardcore conservative but this man has done a lot for me. I think the biggest factor in why I didn't cut him off like other Trump Supporter is because he is approaching it from a business prospective that benefits him instead from a racial motive. I say Trump supporter but he actually voted for Hilary because I told him I'm undocumented. When I had to turn down all of my internship offers because I couldn't pass the background check due to immigration status (needed a internship to graduate college); he made a phone call and I got a internship working at a large physicians office. I showed up at the physician practice and the office manager legit just told me. You can start whenever you want Dr._____ said that if Mr. ______ recommended you then your good. We have our debates on some issues but overall we have a great relationship.

2) Fellow Alumni - how should I put this...he's a good friend of my best friend. Kid got a job at Microsoft upon graduating and my cousin and brother need to interview someone from the field so I reached out to him. He was pretty cool about it and gave them some time for the interview. Then the election came and this kid started posting about Trump and immigration. He's a legal immigrant so he believes everyone should get back in line like he did. Anyways...everyone of his post he was trying to convince his group of friend on why they should support Trump and he was misrepresenting stats on immigration. Each time he did this he would get owned by someone (usually his senior coworker at Microsoft and sometime by me) in the debate and concede. Then he would try again two weeks later like nothing happened. After awhile I just unfollowed him because I could not respect him anymore.

3) Coworkers: I have a few coworkers that are Trump supporters and it's kind of weird. I have them on facebook and they would post some immigration stuff and how they hate illegal immigrant. To me it's kind of funny because they absolutely love me but hate who I am. I distant myself a bit from them. I came on the team as one of the best in terms of my solution so they often need me and not the other way around.

4) My best friend from middle school: We didn't really keep in touch after I moved to a different high school. He ended up joining the marines. Marines pretty much brain wash you to be conservatives. We had a debate about immigration reform and how we would approach it is completely different. I posed the question "if you were an immigrant living in a country where you couldn't possibility provide a good life for your kids, would you come to America even if it meant coming illegally?" He said he would stay and hope the best work out or wait in line to come over. I told him for me, I would of moved the stars and changed my fate no matter what. How do I tolerate him? I don't take him too seriously. I grew up with him and intelligence wasn't what he was known for. He was more of the brawler type.

Charolastra 08-11-2018 01:50 PM

That's what you get for wearing political slogans on your clothing. Almost as bad as putting bumper stickers on your car, disgusting.

applecider 08-11-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMejia (Post 716876)

dang, some people really internalize their own racism. Does he not realize that the republicans would throw him under the bus first when worst comes to worse. Considering he came here without papers himself, he really shouldn't be one to talk

applecider 08-11-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charolastra (Post 716890)
That's what you get for wearing political slogans on your clothing. Almost as bad as putting bumper stickers on your car, disgusting.

LOL a troll in the comments. Thats what I get? I didn't get anything, in fact, he was the one who got his ass served to him. :D

Unlike you, I don't have a problem wearing shirts or bumper stickers because I can actually back up my facts and argue calmly. I actually did a damn good job that the boyfriend ended up whining like a little bitch to my friend afterward because he said I made him feel stupid and his fragile masculinity was triggered.

Again, he brought it up first. He should've been able to back himself up. If you are undocumented and think not being political is ok as long as you benefit from the work of those who protested for you, then that's your problem not mine. I do what I can for this movement so my conscience is clear. :roll:

applecider 08-11-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by versailles (Post 716884)
are you a guy or a girl?

Im a girl, which is why he tried to be a troll and asked me why feminism is a thing when men and women can now both vote... He was also triggered that Im doing a PhD and he is only a high school graduate so he tried to insinuate that I only got into Stanford because of affirmative action. LOL.