DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Going back to when Bush was president. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81431)

116flow 03-24-2018 12:55 AM

Going back to when Bush was president.

So in 2003 when Bush was president. My family and I crossed the border in a greyhound bus in Texas. We were detained and release in promise to go to court. Our destination was Miami, Fl. Anyways, I was 9 at the time. A judge order me deportation proceedings and 10 year ban. Did the judge had the right to do that?! Even though I was just a kid? They did get all of our information. Except for my fingerprints. The adults got their prints and pictures taken.

Anyone in the same situation that has close their deportation case?
What chances do I have to win that case if I reopen it?
I know you guys ain't lawyers, but might know someone similar.

BTW

Anyone remember this?

Secure Fence Act of 2006

“This bill will help protect the American people. This bill will make our borders more secure. It is an important step toward immigration reform."

We're past those steps.

Pianoswithoutfaith 03-24-2018 01:35 AM

Re: Going back to when Bush was president.

So because you were underage it means you’re protected from deportation...?

AleiaTheEnchanted 03-24-2018 01:54 AM

I remember reading somewhere about children who crossed the border and that it doesn't exempt them from deportation. If you were caught, then they will have your info. If you cross twice then you might not be able to do an AOS because that would accrue a permanent ban.

Swim19 03-24-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 116flow (Post 699218)
So in 2003 when Bush was president. My family and I crossed the border in a greyhound bus in Texas. We were detained and release in promise to go to court. Our destination was Miami, Fl. Anyways, I was 9 at the time. A judge order me deportation proceedings and 10 year ban. Did the judge had the right to do that?! Even though I was just a kid? They did get all of our information. Except for my fingerprints. The adults got their prints and pictures taken.

Anyone in the same situation that has close their deportation case?
What chances do I have to win that case if I reopen it?
I know you guys ain't lawyers, but might know someone similar.

BTW

Anyone remember this?

Secure Fence Act of 2006

“This bill will help protect the American people. This bill will make our borders more secure. It is an important step toward immigration reform."

We're past those steps.

The judge can order you deported even if you a minor. I'm not sure if the 10 year ban would apply to you at that time. The best is through a lawyer get a copy of your immigration records (file a FOIA). Then the lawyer will be able to advise you on the next steps.

116flow 03-24-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 699219)
So because you were underage it means you’re protected from deportation...?

No, didn't mean it like that. I mean since it was the "parents" fault for their actions. I guess it wasn't fair for me to get the 10 year ban. Since we were receiving death threats in Honduras. We had to leave the country. Also it Made things harder for us to adjust back then. I was the only one with a court order at the time. Makes sense why my mom didn't even try to take me.

116flow 03-24-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 699234)
The judge can order you deported even if you a minor. I'm not sure if the 10 year ban would apply to you at that time. The best is through a lawyer get a copy of your immigration records (file a FOIA). Then the lawyer will be able to advise you on the next steps.

Thanks for the info.

4n0nym0us 03-24-2018 01:24 PM

A 10 year ban?
I have an almost exact situation. They took my photo and fingerprints though but I didn’t receive a 10 year ban.

BeeHive 03-26-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 116flow (Post 699243)
No, didn't mean it like that. I mean since it was the "parents" fault for their actions. I guess it wasn't fair for me to get the 10 year ban. Since we were receiving death threats in Honduras. We had to leave the country. Also it Made things harder for us to adjust back then. I was the only one with a court order at the time. Makes sense why my mom didn't even try to take me.

I honestly do not know much about Central America immigration.

But couldn't you apply for TPS since you ran away from a threat?

Demise 03-27-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swim19 (Post 699234)

Only unlawful presence bar doesn't apply. Permanent bar applies if he was in US illegally for 1 year or more and re-entered illegally.

The bar for deportation splits in two main ways:
1. If you get ordered deported and leave: 10 years (no age exemption)
2. If you get ordered deported and get deported, as in ice puts you on plane or otherwise throws you out: permanent

So depending on the circumstances he might need an I-212 before anything else. He should definitely FOIA EOIR, CBP, and USCIS and see what the hell they actually have.

juvi 03-27-2018 06:55 PM

Umm.. you have the exact same case as me.
Long story short, you were part of catch and release and most likely were 'No Show' at court hearing. Judge most likely initiated removal proceedings as you were absent.. it doesn't matter if you were a kid. You're probably SOL but you can request a FOIA. You don't have a ban right now but the moment you leave the country you would trigger the 10 year ban as Demise mentions above. You would need to leave the country if you ever want to AOS as you were EWI. That's the reason I couldn't do AP to fix my EWI.