DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   College (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=56376)

amadream 06-11-2013 01:22 AM

College

I'm really glad I finally have a SSN, work permit and license but really as a high school graduate nothing motivates me to go to college..

I can't join the armed forces.
I can't afford college.
No scholarships.
No nothing.

I even got accepted to a university and a community college.
How am I even supposed to go to college if I can't pay for it?

Lunafiv 06-11-2013 01:48 AM

Re: College

Well.... first of all, not everybody has to go to college... You wrote "nothing motivates me to go to college" then don't go? You might get motivated when you're in your 30s, (it's going to be really hard to go back to school since right now it's the best time to go to college) but you can always go back to school when you feel motivated.
I don't know where you live but in California if you attend a CC, you can apply to have your fees waived. So you don't have to pay for the classes. The books are expensive but since you have your work permit you can buy them all used with the money you'll be making?

zone2oo0 06-11-2013 04:56 AM

and BOOM goes the dynamite!

what's up with all these DREAMERS giving up on their DREAM ?

now that you have your SSN, how about you go live life?

once CIR passes, you should be able to join the military so look out for that this summer, keep your chin up fool.

TexanJose 06-11-2013 09:36 AM

So...you're telling me that now that you have a SSN, that you can WORK, there's no way you can pay for college?? What about the rest of us that have gotten NO aid (besides in-state tuition) and have had to work full-time and go to college part-time (some even full-time)?

Assuming you're not a troll (or someone who has no life but to make fun of people)...What's your age? Have you considered WORKING before going to college so that you actually know what you WANT to study for?

amadream 06-11-2013 02:31 PM

I live in Florida and yes it is hard to find a job close to my house since I don't have enough money for transportation. I've been looking since I received my work permit. Plus, the whole "you don't have to go to college" doesn't work for me. I have to go to college.

Listen, I'm not being ungrateful I am more than glad I received what I currently have. All I'm saying is that it isn't fair for us [DREAMERS] to not have financial aid.

Dres2011 06-11-2013 02:32 PM

fuck financial aid, I can manage without that just give me in state.

dude33 06-11-2013 02:39 PM

Hey i am in NY and i pay my own way to college 3000 a semester plus books .. there is sallie mae tuition pay where you can break your payments up in 4 or 5 payments .. community college is cheaper so maybe start there .. come on minimum wage isnt so bad when you come out of high school ... you can do anything you set your mind too dude

4justice 06-11-2013 02:41 PM

I went to a community college my first two years. No SS#, no DL, and you know what I did? I worked construction. On the days I didn't have school, I worked all day, on the days I did have school, I went to work half the day, got home, took a shower, then went to school. I would get home around 10pm. And I went to school full time. Want to know how much money I got from financial aid or scholarships? $0. Zero....nothing.

So it's not that you can't do it, it's that you don't want to. It's possible, trust me. I did it. Now that you have an even greater opportunity, take it or you'll regret it later.

Pink Floyd 06-11-2013 02:49 PM

I would say to go but if you're not motivated well then.

Just know that a few years from now when you have a 9-5 and have not yet been promoted and still getting a low check, you might regret not going to college. I will be graduating this semester with an Associates Degree in Graphic Design and I'm happy I won't have to work odd jobs. I worked at Hunts Point produce market and that was a tough job. I plan on enrolling on a 4 year college as I plan on becoming a dentist and I hope I can get citizenship so I can have the Army pay for my dental school. Might just marry a white broad http://www.the-coli.com/images/smilies/scheme.gif

Lunafiv 06-11-2013 02:51 PM

Going to college in this country is hard even for American citizens. Now imagine for us? When you don't feel motivated enough think of all the people who had to pay thousands of dollars because they had to pay as international students. I've seen brilliant people who were not able to attend college because they were undocumented and had to support a family. I don't think you are ready for college... I've seen people like you and they don't succeed, maybe this is not the best time. How did you do in high school? You need to be super motivated to succeed.
I'm sorry for the dreamers who want to be doctors or something. They really have it hard, but I don't you want to be a doctor, do you? Do you have any idea what you want to be?