DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Flake looks to meet Trump in the middle on immigration (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=80880)

Michcio07 02-12-2018 11:24 PM

Flake looks to meet Trump in the middle on immigration

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...reamers-407241

Quote:

Sen. Jeff Flake is trying to meet President Donald Trump halfway on immigration.

The Arizona senator and Trump foil will on Tuesday file an immigration amendment that mirrors some of the contours of the president's plan. It will go further than some Democrats would like like in tweaks to legal immigration and not as far as some border hawks will prefer, according to a summary provided to POLITICO.

The amendment appears to be a step toward the center of the GOP and away from the bipartisan Gang of Six talks Flake entered into last month. That is a legislative acknowledgment that any bill to protect recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program must reflect the GOP majorities in Congress and Trump's presence in the White House to become law.

The legislation will provide Trump's requested $25 billion in money for a border trust fund, allowing $1.8 billion in annual border improvements. It also will give a 10- to 12-year pathway to citizenship for 1.8 million young immigrants, harmonizing with the number the president has proposed. And the bill makes major changes to legal immigration, though it doesn't go as far as what Trump's framework envisions.

The bill would limit family-based immigration, barring young immigrants from sponsoring their parents for gaining legal status. Instead, family-based immigration would be limited to spouses and children of people eligible for DACA. Visas would be provided first to the family-sponsored immigrants program, then to high-skilled immigrants under Flake's bill.

But rather than get rid of the diversity lottery program altogether as Trump proposes, Flake would reallocate 25,000 visas to employment-based immigration and 25,000 for the family-sponsored backlog, which was nearly 4 million last year, according to the State Department.

Flake is also readying a fallback plan if nothing major can pass the Senate that would provide some border funding while protecting people enrolled in the DACA program from deportation for three years.

Edit: Am I crazy or is this something that every democrat should vote for?

BeansDreamtoo21 02-12-2018 11:26 PM

Re: Flake looks to meet Trump in the middle on immigration

And that folks is what democrats want the 3 year protection for current daca enrolled people

Copper 02-12-2018 11:27 PM

At least we have a fallback plan. Things are looking good tho, more process is being made.

Smooth 02-12-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 688954)
At least we have a fallback plan. Things are looking good tho, more process is being made.

I agree.

fl_dreamer 02-12-2018 11:30 PM

Maybe we all just deserve DACA continuation so that it would give people complaining about fucking chain migration some fresh perspective.

Ideally, they should stop sponsorship for all GC holders and only allow citizens to sponsor.

jaylove16 02-12-2018 11:33 PM

Dems will oppose it . They’d rather campaign on our suffering.

year2010 02-12-2018 11:35 PM

I'm sick and tired of Dems not coming to the table. I guess I expect republican to fuck us over, but Dems can do better. They need to vote on this bill!

Copper 02-12-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylove16 (Post 688962)

For sure, that’s a given. I think their plan all along was to make the Republicans the “bad guys” so the Democrats can fool people into getting all their votes so they can then do more to “help us”. And even if they do take over Congress in 2018. Their next excuse is going to be “sorry we don’t have the White House, but maybe in 2020 if you give us your votes will give you the ‘help’ in return.”

Smooth 02-12-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by year2010 (Post 688965)
I'm sick and tired of Dems not coming to the table. I guess I expect republican to fuck us over, but Dems can do better. They need to vote on this bill!

Of all the issues, CHAIN MIGRATION is the main divisive part now--not internal enforcement. lmfao

Whatever happened to us being concerned about our parents and internal enforcement, and some people here complain about chain migration as if Democrats actually had a say to make the GOP shift to a more narrow bill. lmfao

2MoreYears 02-12-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylove16 (Post 688962)

I'm afraid that's very plausible.