DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Crossing a checkpoint with your state ID ONLY? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=74786)

astroxp 11-11-2016 01:57 PM

Crossing a checkpoint with your state ID ONLY?

This question has been bothering me since I got my first DACA approval back in 2013. I've done continental travels several times and every time I would through a checkpoint by car, I would show both my EAC and state ID card. It would only be a matter for the agent to corroborate dates and my face on the cards and I would be good to go. Occasionally, I could count the times with just one hand, I would be asked where I was headed and why but that was it.

My state DL won't expire until 2021 (Texas DLs expire 6 years after your birthday)

So if Trump does go through the end of DACA, within the first 100 days of his presidency[1], would I have any problems at all if from then on I show my state ID only to any border patrol agent? I am planning going to NYC on December so I'll definitely going to trying this.

I always planned doing this, even before Trump showed up in the elections radar, but I would always feel intimidated by the BP agents so I would chicken out and just show both cards to avoid any friction.

mangalan 11-12-2016 06:18 PM

Re: Crossing a checkpoint with your state ID ONLY?

Did they not tie your EAD expiration date to your DL? Mine is.
But anyway, you should be fine with just the TX DL, that's all I ever shown at checkpoints.

Ghoster 11-12-2016 06:26 PM

It's fine to travel with expired ID even. But for driving, if DACA ends and your EAD expires, then DL will also be cancelled even if the DL itself hasn't expired. You can use it still as an ID to fly etc, but not to drive.

Pianoswithoutfaith 11-13-2016 05:27 AM

I think by 2018 all states need to be compliant of the Real ID Act and that will make life even more difficult

astroxp 11-13-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangalan (Post 587666)
Did they not tie your EAD expiration date to your DL? Mine is.
But anyway, you should be fine with just the TX DL, that's all I ever shown at checkpoints.

EAC are two years only. There's no way DHS would tie to my DL which expires in five years.

mangalan 11-13-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astroxp (Post 588034)
EAC are two years only. There's no way DHS would tie to my DL which expires in five years.

Who I meant by "they" is the DMV. When I went to obtain/renew my DL they asked to see my EAD, which then linked my DL expiration date to my EAD expiration date.

astroxp 11-13-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangalan (Post 588175)
Who I meant by "they" is the DMV. When I went to obtain/renew my DL they asked to see my EAD, which then linked my DL expiration date to my EAD expiration date.

Interesting, that's actually what happened to my first time I requested my state ID (not a DL). A year after, I went to take my driver test and passed it. That's when they prolonged my expiration date - there was no need to show my EAC. They didn't request it.