DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=62772)

eric_prec 08-20-2013 01:07 AM

Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
Hi guys, I've been working at this company for about two weeks now and I got called in for a meeting regarding me answering no to the "would I need sponsorship anytime in the future" question during the interviews a couple of weeks back. I honestly believed that the answer was no since I can renew my work permit without the company as long as the deferred action is enabled. I even emailed them before I got hired and explained that my work permit can be renewed every two years as long as I stayed in good behavior. Now they are asking for a letter or email from an attorney stating that I can work legally without the need of sponsorship at anytime in the future. I don't know what to do guys. My manager loves me and says the orders are coming from HQ and not them. PLEASE HELP!!!

ggalicia 08-20-2013 02:55 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
What company do you work for?

john_smith 08-20-2013 04:59 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
I believe there is a post in the USCSI site that provides information to imployers, you should print that out and take it to him, you shouldn't have disclosed info to them in the first place, that info is private and you can even suit them for discrimination. You have legit work permit, that is all that matters.

Check this out:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

And this one:

You might want to highly where it says,
Employers
CANNOT
specify which
document(s) they will accept from an employee.
The refusal to hire an individual because the documentation presented
has a future expiration date may also constitute illegal discrimination.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Quote:

Employers must not request

more or different documents than are required to verify employment authorization and identity

reject documents that reasonably appear to be genuine and relate to the employee
specify certain documents over others based on an employee’s citizenship or immigration status, or national origin

john_smith 08-20-2013 05:02 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
Check this one out also:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

Your employer MAY NOT:

Ask to see your employment authorization documents before he or she hires you or before you complete Form I-9.


Some good stuff there, maybe you can print it out and show 'em

you dont even have to specify you are a daca recipient, all you have to show is your EAD, that's it, and maybe an ID.


Personally, this is what I'd probably do.. print out these pages, and make a copy of your EAD, and give it to them. That's it. And show them your EAD so they know it's real, and then be on your way, continue working, and if they ask you more questions you tell them, It's written there on the papers, and here is my EAD, can I please continue doing my job?.

TexanJose 08-20-2013 09:16 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
Have we not gone over this already? First, what type of company are you working for?

By the way, people create these problems by saying they have a work permit. Again (like I've said 150 times) unless it's a federal job, it's illegal to be asked if you're a USC or not. If you 'volunteer' this information, then be prepared to have problems like the example above.

IamAman 08-20-2013 09:20 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
Your attorney can't make any promises like that. Even if you had a green card, he could not promise that you'd be eligible to work here for ever since that could be taken away from you. Since the cat is out of the bag now, it's time for your attorney to have a chat with them regarding employment law, but my experience is that once a company doesn't want you, they will make your life hell until either you quit or they find another reason to fire you.

eric_prec 08-20-2013 09:38 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
Thanks for all the advice guys! I don't want to disclose the company's name simply to not jeopardize my job but its not a federal company. Also, the only reason I told them about my work permit is because they asked about my citizenship status after I accepted the job offer. Anyways, I'm gonna see what I can do because I really like my job.

Happyman0607 08-20-2013 10:15 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric_prec (Post 508995)
Thanks for all the advice guys! I don't want to disclose the company's name simply to not jeopardize my job but its not a federal company. Also, the only reason I told them about my work permit is because they asked about my citizenship status after I accepted the job offer. Anyways, I'm gonna see what I can do because I really like my job.

No one asked about your company name.. We're not here trying to get personal info.. What type of company is it? Do you make freaking boxes or are you doing stem cell reaserch just answer the damn question... Soo annoying when people come here asking questions and don't even give the proper information.

eric_prec 08-20-2013 10:47 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
It's a multi-billion dollar engineering company. With many sectors in the engineering field. I got hired as a mechanical engineer for their operations in the oil industry. I'm sorry if I didn't give enough info, Im just looking for advice so I can try to keep my job.

Happyman0607 08-20-2013 10:59 AM

Re: Employer is requesting for an attorney letter about sponsorship
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric_prec (Post 509005)
It's a multi-billion dollar engineering company. With many sectors in the engineering field. I got hired as a mechanical engineer for their operations in the oil industry. I'm sorry if I didn't give enough info, Im just looking for advice so I can try to keep my job.

Really shouldn't be hard to produce a letter, I'd head off to a lawyer who can give you a letter, I'm sure there are many out there just as there are many doctors out there who sign off on prescriptions to "patience" they know don't need them. Except in your case you're not laying or comiting any sort of fraud so you should be 100% fine.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.