View Single Post
12-06-2008, 04:35 PM
From Texas
Joined in Jul 2007
610 posts
questionsihave
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR_Dream2007 View Post
Obama said he would pass the Dream Act in his first 100 days? Wouldn't that have been posted here or did we miss it? I'm pretty sure we've catalogued the times he's mentioned Dream.

Lets see, there's the Texas Primary debate, that rally in Nevada, and a townhall meeting in some state (probably Nevada). All I remember is something like: We should pass it as quickly as possible or something like that.

Anybody have any youtube videos, website promises, or anything about a 100 day time frame?
I have also heard him say it in Colorado, and other states during townhalls meeting when a question about immigration was asked. He also said it at a CNN debate. I have never heard him say in the first 100 days, but he has always said to he wants to pass it as soon as possible. I was basically a political junkie during the campaign, so I would have remembered if he said it.

Then again, I don't think he has ever said he would do anything in his first 100 days. Candidates don't really make promises that way. They usually say, I will do this, or that should passed urgently. If he said he would do something in his first 100 days, McCain would have said, "He thinks he has already won this." It's just too specific to talk that way. Also if they didn't do it during the 100 days, they would be bashed by some of their supporters, and possible the media if the issue is big enough.

The interesting thing about the dream act is it is one of the few small pieces of legalization that was talked about specifically by Obama, which usually doesn't happen. Candidates usually talk more broadly about issues.

Also, it seems that they want to do something with immigration to show John McCain working with the Obama administration.
Post your reply or quote more messages.