View Single Post
08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Joined in Jan 2007
104 posts
Phanu9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
Remember that you can't translate it yourself, have a friend or family member do it for you. Documents sent within the US do NOT need to be notarized. Save yourself the $100 and buy your gf/bf a nice present, or you can just send me the money (I take paypal).
There is absolutely NOTHING on the official USCIS website that says that you can't translate it yourself. Don't believe me? Give a quick call to the Hotline # and ask and all they will say is exactly what is on the USCIS website, that "The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate." Meaning there ARE NO restrictions on who can be the translator.

I understand that there are a lot of lawyers giving conflicting advice, saying not to do it yourself, but they can't back any of that up. They are just saying that because they prefer that. In fact, my sister's lawyer for her Greencard application said that it doesn't matter. While the lawyer that I went to said that it is required to get it translated by a professional translator lol.

I'm serious, try giving a call to the hotline and they'll say that as long as you can personally certify that you can speak the two languages, then you're fine.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...000ecd190aRCRD
Post your reply or quote more messages.