View Single Post
05-15-2009, 02:14 PM
From Texas
Joined in Jul 2007
610 posts
questionsihave
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy555 View Post
Hey questionsihave, great job on that list! I noticed you said Cornyn "seems to support CIR". I think that's a mistake from what I've researched and from meetings in my town with other pro-immigrant groups, we've all agreed he's impossible to deal with. Here's what he replied to me once:

Thank you for contacting me about immigration reform. The need to fix our broken system is clear, and I appreciate having the benefit of your insight on one of the most important issues of our day.

Immigration reform must ultimately be about improving our system for legal immigration, not about creating new benefits for illegal aliens. Although we are a proud nation of immigrants, we are also a nation of laws. If policymakers will agree that all immigrants must abide by the rule of law, then we can reach a consensus on ways to improve the legal process so that it meets the needs of our society, our economy, and our national security.

During the 110th Congress, the Senate considered comprehensive immigration reform legislation (S. 1639). I had serious concerns that the legislation, as drafted, would have repeated the well documented mistakes of the 1986 amnesty bill. Furthermore, Senators were not allowed the full opportunity to offer amendments to this flawed legislation, and as such, I was one of 53 Senators who voted against the cloture motion to bring S. 1639 to a vote.

I have been working throughout my time in the Senate to develop a solution to this problem that I believe will work. I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/immigration for more information regarding the immigration reforms I support. As we consider immigration reform proposals in the future, I will continue to promote these policies, but I will oppose any bill that rewards illegal conduct and encourages further disrespect for our laws.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

So yeah, he fits the under "Don't Care"
Your right, but he is constantly saying we need to deal with immigration reform. It makes it hard for me to know what his motives are. I definitely know he wont support the DA standalone in its current form.
Post your reply or quote more messages.