View Single Post
09-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Joined in Aug 2008
729 posts
legendver2
Bumping back an old thread since I don't want to create a new one about the same topic. I'm trying to open a high yield online savings account, but not sure if a lot of things have changed in just a few months, but Ally now asks if you are a USC or resident alien:

https://i.imgur.com/lEYyygd.png

Discover, if you put yourself as a non-USC, asks if you are a U.S. resident or other U.S. person. This makes thinks more difficult now, as I'm not sure if we can fill out these apps as a resident alien (obviously not USC) or other similar categories or not. That leaves investment firms like Betterment or Wealthfront, which aren't real banks, but uses affiliated program banks to store your money. Even though they are covered by FDIC, I just don't feel they're as secured (maybe I'm just paranoid) since the coverage doesn't apply to money that's in transit to said accounts, and only insures once the money are in the accounts, so I'm still paranoid of the money being lost during the transaction time between that. They also don't have a typical routing and account number, and transfers are made by linking your existing bank accounts.

So y'all have any suggestions or insight on this? Thanks!
Bio scheduled for 2/23/2018
Post your reply or quote more messages.