View Single Post
08-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,680 posts
IamAman
I know this will come off as judgmental but I can't feel too bad for her. She's in better shape than a lot of Dreamers and in much better shape than most other undocumented people. For one she still has DACA and all the protections it offers: She's free to go and apply for work, apply at any school, have not just any driver's license but a Real ID driver's license, and she has not just one but TWO passports, one of which is a Canadian passport which affords her zero trouble getting a bank account at the vast majority of US banks and is one of the best passports to have as Canada is cool with a lot of countries.

All those things she has going for her right now, living in the US. Is it uncertain? Sure, but aside from the lack of international travel, her life is as normal as it is for most citizens even. And now, even if she throws it all away, she's going to Canada - a stable country that also speaks English. Nobody is going to arrest her there and accuse her of being an American spy, no murder squads, no poverty, no war, etc.

Personally I think she should wait around and see where things go with DACA and she'd be kicking herself if in 2 years the whole climate of the country changes, but it's her life I guess.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.