View Single Post
01-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Joined in May 2006
6,537 posts
Ianus
I think this is why the Democrats who fought for it last year don't trust the Isakson resolve for such an important legislation.I think that in order for this to work they should allow those already here to gain legal status while using this amendment on the guest-worker provision which would then be phased-in.When the Senator offered the amendment last year to CIR it only accumulated 40 votes.

It seems that another Senator by the name of Lamar Alexander has gone on record in support of the Isakson CIR bill & is basically saying it could get as much as 90 votes in the Senate.
Quote:
Mr. President, I am here today to commend the Senator from Georgia. Since last fall, he has had before us the basis for sound, comprehensive immigration legislation — all in one bill; two parts: secure our borders; and once that is done, then all the rest of it. I believe that would attract 85 or 90 votes. And I would suggest, respectfully, to my friend, the Democratic leader, and my friend, the Republican leader, that if we are looking for things to do that are important, that the American people expect us to act on, that we have already demonstrated we can work on together, that within a few weeks we take up the matter of immigration, we base our work on the Isakson principle, and we not stop until we finish the job.
Imo,I think they support this deferment because of the elections are also in ~ 2 years & nothing else.

[Edit:I forgot to include the 228 page legislation of this Comprehensive bill.{requires:Adobe reader}]
After reading the bill,it is NOTHING but a scheme.It basically grants "guest-worker" status for a period of 2 years under a W-visa scheme with absolutely NO path to permanent residency other than by using current rules.