View Single Post
11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Joined in Nov 2008
10 posts
CAR
Wow, where to start?

First of all, I understand how difficult it is to try to work as a collective. Even without the added determent of, having to 'out' your migratory status. People in these sort of situations are just reluctant or afraid to come forward.

As I said, I am pretty new to this. I am here to help in whatever I can. I have felt that in any politicized issue you need the backing of the American public. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but, with the current issues at hand in DC, I just don't see how immigration will even make it onto the floor this next congressional session. Time here is of essence.

That is why I thought of a book. A recollection of stories in the first person. Short stories, maybe 10. A compilation. The writer may remain anonymous if he/she so desires. It's in my mind a way to introduce the average joe American to the struggles of the hidden citizens of this country. I mean the purpose is two-fold:

1 - Educational: Make the public aware of this civil rights issue. It is in it's core a civil rights issue, independent of how wrapped it is in immigration.

2 - Garnish media attention: Have to shot for the big guns. I am talking about from Oprah on down. Oprah has segments on fantastic kids. We could always pitch a show on fantastic kids whose dreams are stalled. Hey if we shot for the top and don't get there, we sure as hell hit lot's of stuff on the way up.

I have currently two contributors to this project. My wife is an editor, so I can receive assistance there. With respect to publishing, there are always University publishers and out of the country publishers who might be willing to undertake the project. You can always self publish and just e-mail bomb.
One step at a time.

I have been passing along the info about the Dream Act on change.org. I am not much of a blogger, but it seems that soon will change.

Keep up the good fight!

CAR
Post your reply or quote more messages.