View Single Post
04-09-2013, 01:39 AM
From Hawaii
Joined in Apr 2013
84 posts
YouMaySayImADreamer
So back from my appointment with the local USCIS office. The officer that helped me was really really nice which was a nice surprise. She told me because it's a temporary measure USCIS did not want to dedicate funds to training local personnel in regards to DACA so only the service centers would have information about our specific case. With that said she said her interpretation of what is written on the USCIS website regarding AP for DACA is that I would NOT trigger the ban but to be safe she advised me to call the 1800 number and request to speak to a higher officer. Of course I did that as soon as I left the building and after insisting with the phone operator for 20 minutes to transfer me up, I finally got to speak to an Immigration officer (well, after being put on hold for another 60 minutes). He assured me that it was 100% safe to travel with AP as long as I can present my AP approval letter and a note from my grandfather's physician describing his condition and the seriousness of it. I asked several times how risky it would be and he insisted I would be fine. I also asked about the new form they are supposed to be drafting specifically for DACA but he said right now it's on hold and he GUARANTEED me nothing would come out for at least another 3 months.

I am more confused than ever. He told me everything I want to hear but is it really safe to trust this information? I don't know. I don't think they would deliberately lie like that and he sounded SO certain. At this point I have decided I will go ahead and apply for AP and hope that when it comes time to travel someone will have already gone through the process successfully. Otherwise, I will be facing a huge dilemma. Either way, I might not even get approved so worrying about it now is kind of pointless (though inevitable). I will try to document the entire process and post about it here for you guys' information. Wish me luck!!!!!
Post your reply or quote more messages.