View Single Post
12-31-2008, 08:39 PM
From New York City
Joined in May 2007
1,249 posts
RahmanIV
Hey teeman,

It really depends on the school. If the school is willing to provide a soccer scholarship to your son, then it doesn't matter that he is undocumented. As an undocumented student, he cannot receive any federal aid but he can still file a FAFSA. He just has to file a paper copy with the school and leave the SSN field blank and make sure to mark "Non-citizen nor eligible non-citizen" in the citizenship field.

Many schools don't consider citizenship status when providing scholarships that come from the schools own funds, such as athletic scholarships or academic scholarships etc. However, scholarships that are funded by the state or federal government are only open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. In recent news, an extremely gifted student who was undocumented was admitted into Harvard on a full scholarship. So you see, our premier schools don't take a narrow minded view on a student's potential simply based on their immigration status.

However, some schools are highly sensitive to public reaction and generally don't provide scholarships to undocumented students even if the money is coming from the school's own funds.

Bottom line, talk to a financial aid administrator or the director of financial aid of the school your son is applying to. My guess is that they won't care about his immigration status.
I am not an immigration attorney nor do I have any experience litigating immigration cases. As always, seek professional advice before pursuing any course of action. I cannot be held accountable for any consequences of my comments.
Post your reply or quote more messages.