View Single Post
05-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Joined in May 2016
2,683 posts
jaylove16
Yet the effort by GOP centrists to force immigration votes gained steam before Thursday’s exit, suggesting Republican leaders may soon be forced to address legislation protecting the so-called Dreamers, perhaps as early as next month.

Everybody’s negotiating still,” said Rep. Dennis Ross (R-Fla.), a senior deputy whip. “So we’re giving them 10 days to see what happens. At least I am.”

Ross said he might sign the petition when Congress returns to Washington in June, but added, “I’m not there yet.”

"I gave them my word I'd sign before I left," Reed told The Hill on Thursday. "Leadership and the Freedom Caucus needed to see continuing movement toward arming the [discharge-petition] device. They are truly in the final stage of making a deal. If they don't, all bets are off."

Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.), the centrist sponsor of the discharge petition, said there’s room for compromise between those two positions.

“This is a technical issue. For us, it’s important that young immigrants brought to the country as children — the victims of the immigration system — have a bridge into the legal immigration system,” he said. “And no one at any of our meetings has said that that’s unacceptable.”

GOP negotiators appeared to make some progress Wednesday during a lengthy meeting in the Capitol office of Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.). McCarthy’s California colleague, Rep. Jeff Denham (R), a key centrist negotiator, told reporters Thursday that he left the meeting believing he had a “deal in principle” with GOP leaders and Freedom Caucus members.

“It involved a permanent fix for Dreamers,” Denham said as he descended the Capitol steps.

Those close to leadership say they’re confident that Ryan will find a way to bridge the divide, thereby defusing the internal fight over the discharge petition.

“All parties are working together in good faith,” said Rep. Ann Wagner (R-Mo.), who is close to leadership. “I’ve very hopeful they’ll be able to work out a deal.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/38...igration-votes
Post your reply or quote more messages.