Thread: Defeatism
View Single Post
11-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Joined in Oct 2008
373 posts
Fish
It is not the defeatist attitude. The fact of the matter is that we need the senators on board. If one of them dislike the bill, they can kill it with filibusters. In order to stop that from happening, we need to get them on board. This would mean the need to possibly water it down to the bare essentials that focus on legalization. Unless Durbin and Reid can give them certain "freebies" to get them on board for the original bill, I think it would be somewhat difficult to pass a Dream Act that's filled with citizenship, financial aid, etc. At this point, I'd just be grateful for legalization and a green card. ANYTHING that legalizes us is good enough. I just want to stay in this country and I'm not interested in getting help for college or anything like that.

Let's face it, certain conservative Republicans AND Democrats aren't going to agree to the bill, especially with the current global economic crisis, job losses, the unemployment rate going up, energy indepedence... The list goes on. Immigration is not going to be the number one priority. Even Rahm Emanuel said so, however discouraging that may be. This is one the reasons that I think the American system is deeply flawed. It takes FOREVER to get a bill through and that's why only about 400 out of 10,000 bills ever become law.

We as Dreamers can't push it through alone. We need to get those politicians on board to help vote on it. I think we'll have no problem with the House of Representatives. We need to get people to know the truth about Dream and we need organizations to help us.

Now I'm confident that Dream will be introduced again in 2009. Maybe some of us with the time and money can go see Dick Durbin and actually talk to him? With the Democrats getting much greater control in the House and Senate, I'm sure it can go through easily. Last time was close, and 2009 will be closer. We can get a few Republicans to swing our way. With Obama actually talking about Dream in one of his debates, it seems like a reality that Dream could very well pass next year.
Post your reply or quote more messages.