View Single Post
08-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Joined in May 2006
6,537 posts
Ianus
Why would Steve King go to Cantor's district? I get the impression King is quite concerned about the 'Kids act' and its viability of getting through the House Judiciary and floor.Sigh,Just wish they would release the details concerning though.
Quote:
The Republican lawmaker who was rebuked for depicting some illegal immigrants as drug mules will appear on Monday at a “Stop Amnesty” rally near the district of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor.

Conservative Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) is headed to Cantor’s (R-Va.) hometown of Richmond for a special town-hall meeting on immigration reform.

While the event is actually taking place in the district of Democratic Rep. Bobby Scott, NumbersUSA Virginia noted in an alert to activists that Richmond “neighbors the district of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, who will play a major role in the fate of any amnesty bill in the House."

King was chastised by Cantor and other Republican leaders last month for controversial comments about young illegal immigrants. He said that for every "valedictorian" who is in the United States illegally, there are another 100 with “calves the size of cantaloupes” hauling marijuana across the desert.

“I strongly disagree with his characterization of the children of immigrants and find the comments inexcusable,” Cantor said at the time.

Cantor is working on a bill known as the "Kids Act” that would create a path to citizenship for some illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children.

King has repeatedly defended his remarks, arguing his description of drug runners came from spending time on the U.S. border and talking to agents there. He said he was trying to dispel the notion that all young illegal immigrants are high achievers.

“It seems as though I have a few critics out there, but those who have been advocating for the Dream Act have been trying to make it about valedictorians,” King told Radio Iowa.