View Single Post
12-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Joined in Dec 2010
2 posts
CollegeParent
Alex I never said the Dream Act would not let you join the military I said you could not be an officer.

While non-citizens may enlist, they will find their job choices extremely limited. DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...enlcitizen.htm

I only brought this point up because I don't think it is fair that Senator Durbin is misleading you kids.

If Americans could trust the system, trust that there would be no violation of this bill, that actually it would really only apply to kids like most of you on this forum then their would be no problem. It is our mistrust that our government would not enforce the regulations on this bill any more than they have enforced our immigration laws. We have not forgotten that they promised in 1986 that their would be no more amnesty.

When our senators tell us your sad stories it only reminds us that if our laws had been enforced after 1986 we would not have to be facing this problem. We know that if the law was passed and Dreamers did not live up to their side but had say 2 kids then once again we would be back to the same problem of separating families, etc.

And Alex what you really don't understand about Dreamers lobbying for the Dream Act is that Americans consider you not as citizens, but as foreign nationals. To Americans when our elected representatives lobby with foreign nationals against the wishes of its electorate it is treason.

Alex if you and yours want to change things, want to someday be part of this country, then it is important for you to understand all sides of the argument. Learn, have open discussions not with politicans or activist leaders, but with the very people that oppose you. Take a good look around you at your community and see what you can do to bring both worlds together.

And Alex thank you for having an honest and open discussion with me.
Post your reply or quote more messages.