View Single Post
02-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Joined in Jan 2007
661 posts
tays123
I don't fully agree with you... It did make sense to not to counter him during the shutdown, because they would have said that the Democrats are shutting down the government for illegals. Trump did make an offer after the government was open, however half baked it might be and he was waiting for a counter offer... You cannot expect to pass a legislation that you wanted to pass for the last 18 years if you are not going to negotiate. They never offered the Dream Act (the one that would also include the aged out dreamers) in return for the wall. So we will never know how that would have played out. I believe couple days ago I said that the Democrats were incompetent, but I now think they are simply not sincere at all about fixing our situation.

On the other hand, I do agree with you that the only chance we have at this point is for Trump to not like the deal and shut it down again... Perhaps just not accept the DHS budget and sign the rest. CNN already has a count down clock for the partial shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeow View Post
I think that if dems proposed DACA legalization, they're worried Trump will shutdown the government in 3 days and blame dems. I do not think any proposals will come from dems. It makes no sense to say dems have no spine and at the same time expect them to have a spine and propose a DACA solution at the cost of getting blamed by republicans (a 2nd time).

Personally I don't think dreamers should depend on dem's good graces to get DACA legislation through. That's why I've said the best chance is for the republicans to call them out on it. That will keep the dems honest. But to call them out on it it requires the republicans to actually give a reasonable DACA for wall deal. The deal proposed during the shutdown was worse than Goodlatte.

Honestly, the best shot at DACA legislation now is for Trump to shutdown the government in 3 days and / or Trump & republicans to offer a reasonable DACA for wall deal. The chances of that happening now is unlikely given the recent events.
Post your reply or quote more messages.