View Single Post
07-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Joined in Apr 2009
24 posts
DREAMER 13
I would say getting married is the fasted way- which you already have done with your boy-friend. Once the paper work is submitted and you have had your interview it usually takes about 3 months.

BUT! I suggest you go to the interview with a lawyer! Even if you can't pay for a lawyer to do all the paper work maybe you can hire one for the interview... you will need to show some additional paper work which show that you live together.. for example bills to the same address, a signed lease.. (again try finding a lawyer you can speak to about this , many of them offer free consultations) furthermore, there needs to be proof that your boy-friend can financially support you. I believe he would need to show tax papers as well. If he does not make that much, you can have another person sign this form stating that they are helping you out. For example my friend just married her candian husband and becuase she is the citizen she had to show that she can support him- she has never worked, so her parents signed the form.

Also it is very possible that they will check to see if you live together.. again they did this with my friend. (they went to her house 3 times because everytime they went her husband was not home, so they kept going until he was there). Again you can get a lease from a home owner that you are renting a room from.. since you are both young it makes sense.

Last thing, I am not sure if his parents not knowing is an issue.. you should seriously consider a speaking to a lawyer. Even if it is a $100.00 consultation fee it is completely worth it. You are doing the right thing, the fastest way to get your papers- and you just want to make sure you don't screw it up only to save a few hundred dollars.

Anyway, hope that helped. I am really glad that you have this wonderful boyfriend who is helping you in your time of need. I myself was with someone for 5 years and he still said no.... so you are way ahead of me!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
Post your reply or quote more messages.