View Single Post
11-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Joined in Sep 2012
24 posts
Alejanderp
Hey there. I'm currently changing my last name as well.

Q: If I go to the Social Security Administration or DMV to do this, I assume they will need the updated name to appear on my EAD. Can anyone confirm this?

A: Yes, you will need your EAD to reflect your new last name before SS can change it.

Q: If this is true, how can I request an updated EAD from USCIS?

A: You must submit your renewal application with USCIS. If you already have a EAD with a long expiration, you can submit a replacement application with your new last name and a copy of your certified marriage certificate (bascially same thing but I think they might require your current EAD to be sent to them but I don't remember exactly so ask a lawyer)

Q: And another twist... I already submitted my DACA app renewal months back. The renewal app does not reflect the name change because I was not married at the time and did not have the certificate (duh). I am really close to the 150 mark of my current EAD expiring and expect my renewal to be approved real soon. Is there anything I can do to make USCIS aware of my name change in time for them to update my renewal app before they generate the EAD?

A: Ouch. I doubt you can notify USCIS of the name change since your app is already in progress and they do not have a copy of your marriage certificate. I would imagine you need to resubmit and pay the fee again but please seek professional advice before resubmitting.

If you were wondering, all you have to do to change your new last name in the app is just complete the app as normal but include your new last name under the last name sections and include your old last name in the "other names" sections. Also attach a copy of your marriage certificate.

Hope this helps.