View Single Post
02-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Administrator
Joined in Mar 2006
1,749 posts
Nick
SK18, most things in the over the top category are already covered by our site wide rules.

Quote:
1)Veering off topic (This is 'Off Topic', we should be allowed to do that)
The section is other topics, the threads each have a topic. If veering off topic didn't matter we'd have one moster thread. You wouldn't like that situation. Having said that, the mods are clearly much more lenient in the other topics section as far as this rule.

Quote:
2) Here and there name calling (idiot, dumbo, hoodlum), this will happen, happens in the other parts of the forum.
Absolutely not.

And you should report every instance of this happening by clicking the little "flag" icon under the thread. This helps the mods a great deal.

Look at this thread for example. I've just had to issue infractions, because this is just NOT the level of discourse we want anywhere on the site. I don't care how "other topic" something is. And, it won't "just happen" because we always (eventually) ban those people. That's a promise, and is the reason why DAP survived all our trials.

If a person trolls or attacks other people we will cut him/her off from the community, period. These members are never missed. I speak from experience.

Quote:
3)Instead of closing threads, the 'Other Topics' mod could give a warning.
This is an idea worth considering. Thank you.

Usually the mods will issue infractions to offending users, that transparently helps to keep the thread sane. Sometimes they do issue a verbal warning in the thread too, but we will consider making that an official part of the process.
Post your reply or quote more messages.