View Single Post
08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
From Texas
Joined in Jul 2009
178 posts
fabDreamer
I know there have been a few dreamers asking about medical school and I also know that there is not much information out there. However, here is my experience with it:

I graduated with an engineering degree from a Texas school and applied to the Texas public medical schools.

MCAT:
I studied myself and used my international passport with no visa as an ID.
Cost: $225

TMDSAS :
This is the umbrella organization through which any student applies to all the Texas Medical except Baylor Medical College (I didn't apply to Baylor).
You can apply as an undocumented, all they require is that you send the notarized residency form as they do for undergrad in Texas.

Cost: ~$500 (this includes the costs for secondary applications too)

Interviews:
I took greyhound to the interviews I could get to without passing border patrol. I was offered 4 interviews, but only could make it to 3. Interview suit and travel were costly, but save money by staying with a first yr student (most schools offer this option)

Cost: ~ 500 (this varies depending on how good you are at getting a bargain)

Acceptance:
Got a pre-match and got accepted to a medical school in Texas. Paid my placement fee by the deadline to secure my spot.
Applied for scholarships and filled out paper FAFSA. I was told I wouldn't be eligible for financial aid, but I already knew that.
Got awarded the Dean's scholarship (5000/yr for 2 yrs) . Merit based so I could get it.

The following months, I was getting correspondence about all the little things to prep for school such as: Immunizations (loads of them...shop around please, it can add up), forms to fill, apartment hunting and placing deposits, traveling for welcome weekend, buying health insurance .

Cost: ~600 ($100 placement fee, travel cost for welcome weekend, apartment deposits/app fee, immunizations). Thankfully I didn't buy the health insurance as yet (~1500/yr)

Then what happened???
It was June 1st, and I was already getting ready to quit my job, prepare for medical school. The excitement had already been peeked with all the little things I had to complete before medical school. All that was left was that I had to register for my classes and get my books. A formality right, because I am already in.

Well, I had a hold on my registration which when I called about they told me I had to send in proof of permanent residency or citizenship to get off. It was the first I had heard of this and even my contact in the admissions office who I spoke to regarding my financial aid situation acted like she didn't know I was illegal (but she did because she highly recommended I differ from medical school months before). I appealed my case to the Dean, but all I got was a deferment and an email saying how he was impressed with my resume and believed I would make a great doctor. They played me well. They couldn't prevent me from applying, but they could prevent me from registering for classes. Gotta give it to the smart fuckers!

Bottom line, yes a few dreamers made it to Texas medical school. But from talking to several schools admissions, most dropped out or took a leave of absence either because they couldn't afford it or they couldn't go forward during their 3rd/4th yr. Texas medical schools have seen these dreamers and now are not willing to let any in because they say it costs them too much money to educate someone who won't be able to work as a doctor. That's what I have heard from several sources. So even if you have the money to pay for it yourself, you won't be able to get in unless you can prove you will be able to work as a doctor.

Disclaimer: I have given my experience, but that doesn't mean it is final. Please learn from it, but forge your own path. I had heard of several failure stories firsthand and I still went for it. I lost a considerable amount of money, but at least I know I did everything I could possibly do.

What to do now: Well I can start medical school if my status changes (which doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon). So I am looking for an exit strategy and giving up on medicine for now even though I have wanted it for the last 13 yrs of my life.
Post your reply or quote more messages.