View Single Post
08-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Joined in Apr 2009
2,582 posts
Ali
just an option to those who are still thinking med. school since I once considered it:

The thought crossed my mind at one point and if I had gone this route I'd have bailed to Mexico quite honestly. The tuition is way lower, the quality of education is on par w/most American schools I'd say. You get more training (if I recall correctly it's something like 5 years of pure medicine). The grade requirements are not as hardcore (really anyone in Mexico that wants to be a doctor pretty much can). And medical degrees are semi-universally accepted; obviously you must demonstrate ability by passing some certification/exams, but as an example, I know of a girl who got her med degree in Peru, moved to Australia and became a certified doctor after her 2nd or 3rd testing attempt.

This may put a dent if you don't have dominion of Spanish, but if you just forgot some of the vocabulary I'd say it's perfectly doable. Non-mexican citizens may want to look into international admissions however. Obviously you may also look at international agreements some countries may have w/some mexican schools so you don't have to retest/recertify.

To add to the list, a resident (maybe even citizen) friend of mine decided to get her biology degree in Mexico and I think was going to become a surgeon at one point (dunno if she's still going after that or not).
Last edited by Ali; 08-17-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.