View Single Post
08-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Joined in Jul 2016
192 posts
Manhattan2017
Hi everyone.
Ive lurked and visited this site for as long as I can remember and I would often see how people post "OH! DACA or the Dream Act is happening TODAY! They are voting on it today etc" and I rolled my eyes everytime I read one of those.
God knows, Congress wasn't and isn't going to do anything anytime soon. Not to be pessimistic but being realistic with the current political climate.
Let me tell you why.

The BEST chance that Comprehensive Reform had was in the Bush days when Bush had a strong push to pass that bill. It fell short by a handful of votes. Never to be revived again in that same form.

Under Obama, GOP was so obsessed with Obamacare and just basically undoing every single thing that Obama was going to do/did, EVEN IF THEY silently agreed with his ideas. Just because they wanted to be jerks! So yeah, Im surprised Obama was able to even get DACA done without a strong revolt from the GOP... Obama's legacy has been defined by Obamacare, and DACA--for which I am grateful.

Under Trump, need I say more. Never gonna happen.
For some time at the beginning of his admin, there was SOME talk about him supporting a comprehensive bill and GOP would have loved to get credit for such a bill (which would have been optimal). I dont care who gets credit for immigration reform-GOP or Dems. But now, that has long been lost in the sauce.
Tariffs this and that, Deporting people/ICE, caging children.. I mean we might all be headed into a recession soon.

What's next?
Elizabeth Warren has some progressive ideas regarding immigration. But even if she were elected (as with any other Dem that seeks to pass the Dream Act or whatever, Congress must be of the same party. If the govt is divided in the same way that it was with Obama, chances are very small.

What's happening with DACA?
Is there a permanent solution? I hope so but I also hope not.
DACA is a temporary measure that is at the whim of each president/governing body.
What's optimal would be a comprehensive bill/dream act that provides a path to legal status for those who have already been living here a long time, and with a CLEAN record. Especially for people with advanced degrees who would contribute to the economy and society as a whole.
I'm anticipating entering a service profession with an advanced degree and I hope that if I somehow achieve a path to legalization, I can travel outside the US (which I havent done in decades). Honestly, life would be more/less the same with or without a greencard but I would love to see the world outside of the US,

Best chances at a GC?
Win the lottery or marry someone.
Would you disagree?

Would love to hear others' thoughts.
Let's keep it real !