View Single Post
11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Joined in Sep 2008
1 posts
shirley wood
I am a retired school teacher. I am not Hispanic, but have a special place in my heart for the Hispanic families I have worked with. I have learned to speak Spanish and as a result, have been able to get to know the families. During this time I befriended the family of one of my students who came from Mexico without papers. We have been friends now for about seven years. I especially have worked with one of their daughters, who is now a junior in high school with a very high B average. I was her teacher in fourth grade at which time she was a very withdrawn, shy girl, but obviously very intelligent. I began to encourage her to study and stay in school. My husband and I enrolled her and her siblings in after school soccer and attended the games with their family. Gradually she began to come out of her shell. Last year her school was going to enroll her in an early exit program for migrant children, but she wanted to stay in school for her junior and senior year because she wants to go to college. I went with her and her mother to the school and they changed her plan. However, now we are faced with the reality that she may not be able to go to college because she came here without papers. My husband and I have even checked into adopting her but have been told that this would not change her status in this country. I am very interested in the Dream Act and have thought of starting a petition to send to the representatives of my state to encourage them to vote for this bill. I have found that very few non-Hispanic people are aware of the Dream Act, even the teachers at school who teach these children. When I talk to them about this they are surprised to learn that these children will not be able to go to college and get a a job, and I feel sure that many of these people would support this bill if we make them more aware of what it will do. Please let me know of any other ideas you have that I could do to help.
Post your reply or quote more messages.