View Single Post
09-25-2018, 09:37 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,680 posts
IamAman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DACA-IR-DA View Post
Marrying for status is not allowed. They say that so they get more money from you. Which old exclusion rules are you talking about?
He never said to get married for status only and would make a point that it's illegal to do so. Only that if I got married legitimately would be the easiest path and as I was in an age where that was something I would probably do anyway, it was better than trying something more risky.

Exclusion according to USCIS is

Quote:
Prior to the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, exclusion was the formal term for denial of an alien’s entry into the United States. The decision to exclude an alien was made by an immigration judge after an exclusion hearing. Since April 1, 1997, the process of adjudicating inadmissibility may take place in either an expedited removal process or in removal proceedings before an immigration judge.
As it pertains to my case, it means that I was not EWI because technically, I never entered and was grandfathered under those rules which an immediate family member to adjust status without needing 245i exemption...the only catch is that you don't have the right to reopen the case but can request it. Still risky but not as risky as someone who is EWI.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Last edited by IamAman; 09-25-2018 at 09:43 PM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.