View Single Post
04-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Joined in Mar 2009
41 posts
null_value
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
Oh yeah I think you're right, I don't think selective service applies as long as you stay in-status (those of us who are out of status still NEED to apply.)

I'm curious as to how that would work once you apply for dream though, since legal visa holders will no longer have the exemption.
Basically, you will need to be in compliance with SS in order for you do participate in any federal program like naturalization. If you are under a non-immigrant visa, then you are not required to register. So you are still in compliance with SS. I can think of a scenario where someone comes here at the age 25 on F1 visa and then at age 27 say he marries a US Citizen. He is still eligible for naturalization because he did not violate the SS requirement (he was exempt from SS till he got his greencard). Thats my understanding....I will confirm this with a lawyer. Can someone else confirm this ?

I wonder if we can still go ahead and register for SS....Anyone here on F1 or B1 or any other non-immigrant visa ? who registered for Selective Service (SS) ?
Last edited by null_value; 04-14-2009 at 06:33 PM..
Post your reply or quote more messages.