View Single Post
03-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Joined in Mar 2006
4 posts
Pinto Bean
Reading your post, following the flow of your words, it is obvious that you are a bright articulate young man with much to offer if given the chance. Having followed many of the threads both here and on COSA, much the same could be said about many of its's members.

You want Dream...as an American, I could support Dream, would under the right circumstances would support it, but currently can not see myself making such and endorsement. From my perspective, the problem arises not in what you seek, but in who you have decided to throw your chips in with...as one COSA member said, if comprehensive immigration reform goes the way most illegals would like to see it go, your issues become moot. If the Senate passes and enforcement only bill, or some kind of a mixed bag of tricks, there is a great chance that Dream goes by the wayside.

As I am well aware of, when you came to America (for the most part), it was not something you had a say in, you were brought here, and in that, you have a unique cause that I personally think gets tainted when you support some of the political platform of those who chose and choose to come here daily knowing they are breaking our laws. I think I read on COSA where dream would have a positive effect on some 65,000 young adults in situations like yours...it is a lot easier to consider Amnesty, even affordable in state tuition for 65,000 than for 12-15 million, most of which came here by choice, choose to break our laws.

Americans are not without compassion, contrary to how some portray us, we have a heart. Children should not be held accountable for their parents actions...BUT, if those children begin making wrong choices, chosing the wrong side in a debate of this magnitude, it could hold costs they had not counted on, could create a sitituaiton where something within their grasp gets stolen away by being on the wrong side of a debate.

I hear it said, that Mexicans take jobs WE AMERICANS DON'T WANT...as a landscaper, I resent that remark, and contest it based on personal experience. I routinely lose out on work because illegal aliens have brought a wage scale to the industry that I cannot compete with as a self employed person. A large landscaping company hiring day laborers has me at a great disadvantage, so I lose work. I have friends of mine, small contractors that do home renovation work...they are in the same boat. All of us resent being quantified as LAZY AMERICANS. We have had our backs pushed against a wall, it seems to have become and all or none war with no chance of FAIR compromise...your side demands 12-15 million illegals be given a path to citizenship, and sorry but that is not fair. If our side said something like...hey, we need to make a living ourselves, lets split the difference, and 6 million of you can stay, but the rest have to go home we'd be called selfish racist's.

Let's talk for a moment about RESPECT. I own a house in a small middle class neighborhood, most of the homes are single family, a few are duplexs. Some of us own our homes, some rent. We were a happy community ,had no problems, there was adequate parking on the streets. Then, three large houses in our community were bought up and the owner started renting them out to illegal alien day laborers. Without being mean here, we here in America DO NOT LIVE 30 to a house, we in fact having zoning laws that forbide it. our infrastructure and community was not designed to handle that many people living under one roof. Where there used to be two cars, we now have 12-15, and that now means often times I find myself having to park two-three blocks from my house and walk home in a snow storm. Do you really think it fair that I pay over $5,000 a year in taxes on my home, and cannot park in front of my house? How am I supposed to percieve they people and the culture they represent when they get drunk and throw their beet bottles in the flower beds I work hard to maintain in front of my house? How am I supposed to react towards them when they seem to have no problems urinating out in front of their house for all the world to see? How am I supposed to react when I come home from work and find out they have been using my hose and my water to wash THEIR CARS? In my neighborhood, we pay for our water, and imagine my shock the first time my water bill was four times what it normally was...now I have to keep my out door faucets turned off in my basement, turning them on only when I need to water the lawn. I have outdoor lighting all around my house, lawn furniture in my back yard. I woke up one night at two in the morning needing a snack. When I went down to the kitchen, imagine my shock when five of these illegal's were IN MY BACK YARD sitting in MY FURNITURE drinking beers! None of this has led to our community being endeared to the cause of the illegal aliens plight, and yet when we bring up these real life issues, we are again called bigots and racists.

My thoughts on Dream...it would have a LOT BETTER CHANCE of being enacted if you put distance between your agenda, and the agenda of those who as adults chose to break our laws.

Pinto Bean
Post your reply or quote more messages.