View Single Post
02-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Joined in Jan 2018
640 posts
cmeow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo Mercy View Post
Tell me what I said that was wrong? Y’all better quit hatin
You weren't wrong but what you said won't help going forward. It's clear now that dems won't trade wall for DACA.

Apparently dems are going to bring a bipartisan solution to the dreamers soon in the house. Not sure what that looks like.

I think you should spend your time to get a meeting with Trump himself. Everything falls on Trump at this point.

Tell him that he should take immigration off the table so dems can't campaign on it. If you believe dems are using dreamers as a campaign issue and they're getting votes from it (more than republicans), then republicans should legalize dreamers to take away dem's campaign issue. It's just that simple. If we are competitors and something is helping you more than it's helping me, I would want to take that away from you.

And one thing Trump understands is business. He's going to spend money and deport 700k young, educated, Americanized people who aren't criminals... they're already working or in school.... then import 700k fresh immigrants to replace the dreamers? Businesses would be negatively affected by that move, especially in an booming economy where businesses need workers.

He's also having trouble getting funding because he's taking army and disaster relief money. A lot of States are suing. Why doesn't he just fine DACA recipients (who by majority are from south of the border) and legalize them to pay for his wall? He actually can claim Mexico paid for it. I don't know if you want to actually mention this to republican lawmakers. They might just throw in a huge fine with a bill worse than goodlatte but if they fine us and legalize it's worth it.

The hard line anti-immigrant stance did not help him in 2018 election and if he wants to win 2020 he needs a bill "of love" for the dreamers.

By all means stir the pot. But saying "dems are using dreamers for 2020" won't help. Saying to republicans "because dems are using dreamers for 2020, do a non-bullshit deal for DACA and take the immigration issue off the table for 2020 elections" is way better. Tell them now to move forward and win, not complain with them about the past, it does nothing.

At the end of the day, if republicans do a non-bullshit DACA deal and put the ball in dems' court, there are a lot of good things that come. The key here is a non-bullshit daca deal or else it's easy for dems to refuse it.
- if dems refuse, it shows they're using dreamers for votes in 2020. That becomes a fact, not speculation.
- if dems accept, then immigration issue is taken off for 2020 elections. Dems can't claim trump is a racist and heartless, he's done something good for dreamers. It'll pull moderate voters towards republicans for 2020 election. It'd also be extremely difficult for dems to campaign on immigration as other undocumented immigrants have a lot less merit than dreamers.

This is a win-win situation for republicans. Republicans must propose a good DACA deal. If dems propose it first then it will be harder to push the narrative.
Post your reply or quote more messages.