View Single Post
08-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Joined in Aug 2011
5,677 posts
IamAman
Last time Expanded DACA went to the Supreme Court, there was a 4-4 tie, with Kennedy presumably going with conservatives that President Obama had overstepped his bounds in enacting Expanded DACA and DAPA. I know the details were more complicated than that because Texas was saying that they had to spend a lot of money (not really) on two driver's licenses, but what it all boiled down to was that conservatives (With Roberts and Kennedy) Didn't think the President had such powers. If this same court with two extra conservatives on it heard the case again, DAPA, and Expanded DACA would have been shot down on the spot and you can bet immediately DACA would have been on the chopping block.

Now, DACA is going to SCOTUS not because Trump is trying to defend it against Texas - the exact opposite actually where Trump wants to end it. Now I'm not fancy big city lawyer but the SCOTUS was ready to shut down DAPA/eDACA when the Obama Administration was defending it with everything they had, it doesn't look too good that now they have a president who is wanting to get rid of it. About the best that has happened so far is that it's been tied up in the court and delaying the execution. Maybe there will be another stay on a technicality.
Mid-40's dreamer (yeah, time flies), aged out of original DACA and didn't have a chance to apply for extended DACA after Republicans killed it on the vine. Have family petition that is now officially current but with past skeletons, is risky to move forward with AOS. Life is on hold for now until laws and/or government becomes more friendly. Life kind of sucks at the moment but like Al Bundy and the mighty cockroach, I survive.
Post your reply or quote more messages.